Opel GT Forum banner

OE Kadett Tyres

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Nasher 
#1 ·
Hi

do you know what tyres were OE on a Kadett

And what are you guys fitting?

#4 ·
I recall from my days as a make-ready mechanic in a Buick dealership that no one manufacturer was standard. We had customers that either had a preference for one brand or another, or a bias against the brand that was on the car, and requested the tires be changed. That would send us out into the lot looking for a car with the sought-after tires and we would switch the tires (occasionally forgetting to swap the spare). This of course is illegal in today's world. This happened more often with the Buicks, but we would occasionally see it with an Opel.

#6 ·
I think the Kadett came with bias-ply tires. Likely 165-13. The 185/70-13 would be your best bet as they fit the rims you have. The XAS looks pricey so would you really be able to push them to justify getting them over a lower performing option? Some have gotten the CN36 https://www.opelgt.com/forums/general-discussions/108863-pirelli-cinturato-cn36-tires.html tires, but again they come at a price. As a friend and I discussed this weekend, you can't drive like we used to which was often at 8-9/10ths. Tires made a big difference. Today I look for quiet and low rolling resistance.

#7 ·
The Kadett came with a Uniroyal in an odd ball metric size, that doesn’t come up even with Coker tire and reproduction tire mold companies. I have saved as many spares as I can. Didn’t matter 1.1 or 1.9, but Rallye model would have received a larger steel belted radial. There were a couple of variances. They were a 6,15-13/155-13. So today’s standard is the 155/80r13, and a GT was a 6,45-13/165-13 in a Dunlop. One of the Uniroyal tires states Uniroyal Englebert and the other just Uniroyal. All state 4 ply Rayon. I’m not 100% on the GT tire being a factory tire or not.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Here are a few pictures of the spare tire and wheel from my 1973 GT. It is a Dunlop 165R13 and is still in pretty good shape. It was never a good handling or wearing tire and by the time I had the car for a year or so, I dumped the Dunlops and installed Michelin XAS tires. I loved the XAS tires and still have them mounted on the rims in the attic. Kept the unused Dunlop for a spare only.
When I was in the Army in Germany, there was a huge Dunlop tire factory in Hanau, near Frankfurt and it would have been very handy to the Opel plant. That may be why you see so many Dunlops on Opels; they were made in Germany and fairly close to the Opel Factory. So to Opel, maybe the Dunlop's were just like Jim Varney's neighbor's wife, hot, fast and cheap! https://www.google.com/search?chann...HXo3CIMQ2wF6BAgEEAg&ei=HZ_FXaKNHcWGsQX67qCYCA

Attachments

#19 ·
Hi
do you know what tyres were OE on a Kadett
The Kadett came with a Uniroyal in an odd ball metric size...They were a 6,15-13/155-13. So today’s standard is the 155/80r13...
a 175/70R 13 is a low profile version of a 155R13

a 185/70R13 is a low profile version of a 165R13
This would mean you would want a 175/70-13 to keep the speedo correct.
I run this size and my speedo is way out by 5 mph.
68 mph on speedo is 63 on my GPS
Vincent, the OP asked about tires for a Kadett, which were typically smaller than on a GT. The correct "modern" (well, not quite modern!) tire for a GT would be a 185/70-13. Your 175/70-13 tires are a tad small

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.