Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dash cover

i am going to order a dash cover from gt source soon and wus wondering how u glue it in place i would be getting the vinyl stitched form fittin one. any problems assocaited with this cover that are known of???

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
ogts dash

i posted pictures on the one piece slip on dash..no need to glue it in..in fact dont...you will hide your vin and make it harder to remove the instrument panel

i dont think the stiched stitched looks as sleak as the one piece...

do a search on "bucky dash"

you can install in in 5 min or less

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
found those pics and looks great so i am wondering u said it didnt ahve to be glued or screwed in that is optional well ? 1 does it stay on well enought just pused on and 2 ? can it be put on with the dash installed in the car? also have u had any problems with it since u installed it?thanx for any help u can give me

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
where at???

my dash is in terrible shap, i can't find those pic's. could you give me a link to them? where do you get it? how much does it cost?

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
buy it for yourself..

charity begins at home...buy it for yourself..the person who makes these needs a job too.

you look at the dash all the time you drive it...it makes a big difference..

we had over 100 degrees in kc for two weeks straight...mine never warped...
looks good as new...no glue on it or screws since i have had it for a few months..

mine is not glued down...it fits good enough right out of the box...

" Bucky's Instruction to fit "ogts dash cap($170 or so) follows:
1-open box it comes it and take out dash cap(1 min)
2-open door of car(1 min)
3-slip it on dash..tuck under window sill (1 min)
4-open beverage of choice and admire how dam good the GT dash looks(1 min)
5-finish beverage..start up car..admire how good (dam good)the dash looks
with the lighted gauges...like an airplane ..only better.(1min)

total time (5 min)

now its time to take a break..repeat steps 4,5 as needed.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
dash cap wraps around

..and it looks good!

and since i didnt glue it down...before i pulled my instrument panel..i first pulled off the dash cap(30 seconds)...gives more clearance.

i dont see why you need to glue it...it was mentioned when i bought it from ogts..i was a little concerned..

Attachments

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jus double checking u installed part number 1023 DASH CAP
(Form-fitted ABS plastic, black) at a coast of 130 dollars i think i will be buying one of theses within the next few weeks, thanx for the info.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
thats it

yup....

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
sounds good

I'm going to get one of those too, they seem easy enough to put on... now i know what they look like and how to install them, thanks bucky you help two people in this post...

·
1,973 Posts
I am now concidering it because I tried cutting the cracks out of the vinal and it would just chip, there are only about 5 long cracks in the whole dash but when it can be cracked by pushing your thumb down. but its also a priority issue...I need other things more like weather stripping, maybe anti-sway bars instead of a dash cover. or just the odds and ends I need to finish it. so maybe the dash cover has been put on hold

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i wus jus wonderin i put the dash in and i tried to smooth some of the cracks by sanding bondoing and sanding i got it pretty smoot, the qustion is for that dash cap does it have to be perfectly smoot or can there be little bit of waves kinda on the top of the dash. also i started my ogts headliner install and u have to trim that thing a lot to get it to fit.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
As far as the headliner goes. I found it was easier with everything off the car and glue it to the window openings before trimming it. I used an upholstery glue and handfulls of every clip I could find. I got it centered in the front window and glued in there. Then i worked my way back. A warm shop helps too. I did mine almost exactly a year ago (snow outside). It looks good now but was quite a bit of work. And yes I had alot of scrap vinyl when it was done. I layed it on another headliner I bought and it looked like the XL model.

Bucky when did you get your dash cap? The reason I ask is I wanted to buy one a year ago and Gil told me that becouse of the hardness of it they weren't selling it any more. He said it was a liability thing.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
dash cap

i got my dash cap this summer..

it covers all imperfections and 'road map' effect from cracks..cracks
do not have to be repaired or filled in prior to slipping on the cap.

dash cap is stiff but flexible..its made to compensate for a warped.cracked,bent and uneven dash..it is quite forgiving..it hid all my poor attemps to fill and smooth the old dash...

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well thats how i started mine glued it in the front window area after putiing the metal rods in place, i have shop heater that i am using when installing, im using a 3m weatherstripping glue it holds like a mother, and im using those clips liek were mentioned, also yah what about the dash cap. i may jus call gil on it this week.

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,322 Posts
Don't Use Glue

For those who have opt for glue to hold down the edges and problem areas that do not fit, why not use velcro industrial strength. My two cents...

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok I'm visualizing the job and I remember needing more clips to hold the back in while I went around the doors. I also pulled it more to the front so when I streched it back it would even out and be tight. I held the back tight with the clips but not glued while I worked around the doors. I cut off as little as possible until last. Only after I had the new door trim on did I trim it short. I also folded under the bottom of the B pillar vinyl to make it look more stock. I did mine right after painting the car, no windows or interior. I don't think the dash was in yet either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts