Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
I got a heater core from Gil. it is a better design than the stock version. The "hot water pipes" are attached to the heater core without gaskets. I still have to put it in (it might take a while). I will keep all of you up to date with my progress. I hate the thought that it is recommenced that you take the windshield out to make it easier. I am going to try to put the heater core in without removing the windshield. we will see what happens. If it doesn't work, I will take the windshield out.

Bob

·
Registered
848 Posts
I got a heater core from Gil. it is a better design than the stock version. The "hot water pipes" are attached to the heater core without gaskets. I still have to put it in (it might take a while). I will keep all of you up to date with my progress. I hate the thought that it is recommenced that you take the windshield out to make it easier. I am going to try to put the heater core in without removing the windshield. we will see what happens. If it doesn't work, I will take the windshield out.

Bob
Hopefully you won’t have to. I remember removing the dash completely years ago to replace my heater core (with a used one). I just shoved the two water connections through to the engine bay and siliconed everything up at the firewall, I don’t remember having to take them apart or didn’t want to for fear of a future water leak.
I’ll bet it defrosts and heats A LOT better 🤙🏾 Let us know how it goes.

·
Can Opeler
3,369 Posts

Bob
No need to remove a windshield. I have three videos on the subject. It’s been a while but I think I covered a way to get the front screws out.
I use a small flat head screwdriver in a socket attached to an electric ratchet (though a regular ratchet would work too).

Here’s the first video in the series. Look for the other 2 in my channel. Part 2 shows the actual dash screw removal. Part 3 shows my electric ratchet screwdriver thingy during the reinstall. I didn’t come up with that idea until the end lol
Opel GT Dash Removal Part 1

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Hey Knorm65 & the Cub did you make the video? Great information, maybe I won't have to take the windshield out after all.

Bob

·
Opeler
896 Posts
I've done it a few times. Doing it the first time, I came across an old carb adjusting tool, snap-on/ blue point TM-65, that works great at getting the right angle onto the screws.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Just ordered a "ratcheting screw driver". I didn't want to take the wind shield out. Thanks, great information.

Bob

·
Can Opeler
3,369 Posts
I made the video.
Keep in mind the ratcheting screwdriver I used in the video is from the 1930s. It has the most compact driver attachments I’ve ever seen on a ratcheting driver which is why it worked for some of the screws.

The shaved down 1/8” craftsman screwdriver hammered into a 15mm socket on a socket wrench is what I use now for most of the screws.

Get creative though. There are a lot of ways to get the screws out. Getting them back in is really the hardest part.

Reactions: tealcarver

·
Über Genius
9,238 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
No need to remove a windshield. I have three videos on the subject. It’s been a while but I think I covered a way to get the front screws out.
I use a small flat head screwdriver in a socket attached to an electric ratchet (though a regular ratchet would work too).

Here’s the first video in the series. Look for the other 2 in my channel. Part 2 shows the actual dash screw removal. Part 3 shows my electric ratchet screwdriver thingy during the reinstall. I didn’t come up with that idea until the end lol
Opel GT Dash Removal Part 1
Just wanted to thank you again for making the videos. I have done the dash and instrumentment panel in out several times but still found it interesting and that would be a good refresher for me prior to the next time and there always seems to be a next time. Just finished your electric fuel pump install and if I decide to go that route in the future I now know how to do it and do it correctly, seeing it done makes such a big difference compared to reading about it, takes away all the questions or doubts one may have. So keep up the good Knorm much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to produce this videos. Best, Carl

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
I am going to get the one Harbor Freight has, it's a back up for the one I ordered yesterday. Guess what? We now have a Harbor Freight here in Fallon. It has only been open since mid December. In fact I might go now.

Bob

·
Über Genius
9,238 Posts
I am going to get the one Harbor Freight has, it's a back up for the one I ordered yesterday. Guess what? We now have a Harbor Freight here in Fallon. It has only been open since mid December. In fact I might go now.

Bob
There goes your Christmas bonus.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Spring GT hang on to your flexible screwdriver it's no longer being made and it is almost impossible to find one. I got the Harbor Freight one, tomorrow I will try it out. I will let you all know how it worked out.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
"There goes your Christmas bonus." Yea, I am not sure I can afford $4.99, but I guess i will have to give a few things up. Not working now, so no Christmas bonuses any more.

Bob

·
Über Genius
9,238 Posts
"There goes your Christmas bonus." Yea, I am not sure I can afford $4.99, but I guess i will have to give a few things up. Not working now, so no Christmas bonuses any more.

Bob
I meant that it's hard to go to HF and not see a bunch of stuff you end up buying

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
"I meant that it's hard to go to HF and not see a bunch of stuff you end up buying"
First Opel 1981. I have worked on restraints when I go to HF. I go straight to the item I want, then go directly to the cashier. That way I don't spend any more money than I have to. So far it's been a battle and they haven't even been open for a month.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
I went crazy and bought three more. One of them ought to work. I got four screws out, but the one from Harbor
freight is too stiff. I think I am going to get one that works in the next couple days. What a challenge. I will keep everyone posted.

Bob

·
Über Genius
9,238 Posts
I went crazy and bought three more. One of them ought to work. I got four screws out, but the one from Harbor
freight is too stiff. I think I am going to get one that works in the next couple days. What a challenge. I will keep everyone posted.

Bob
You might be able to start the screws from the engine side with vice grips.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts