Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,707 Posts
You CAN use rust removing products or even vinegar to remove the rust, but they will also dissolve the aluminum of the piston, so, if you choose to do this only use it for a short time. I'm told that those 2 metal strips are for heat balancing. The pistons are aluminum, those too pieces are steel strips stamped into the aluminum. As Knorm said, they'll be just fine if you do nothing, but it couldn't hurt to use a little emery cloth, a wire wheel, steel wool, or other stuff to scrub it off a little. Squirt some oil on them when you're done to stop them from immediately starting to rust again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No they will be fine
Should I try removing it or leave it be?
You CAN use rust removing products or even vinegar to remove the rust, but they will also dissolve the aluminum of the piston, so, if you choose to do this only use it for a short time. I'm told that those 2 metal strips are for heat balancing. The pistons are aluminum, those too pieces are steel strips stamped into the aluminum. As Knorm said, they'll be just fine if you do nothing, but it couldn't hurt to use a little emery cloth, a wire wheel, steel wool, or other stuff to scrub it off a little. Squirt some oil on them when you're done to stop them from immediately starting to rust again.
Oooooh, that means probably better not mess with, don want to mess with heat distribution

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,308 Posts
You're fine as noted. These strips are for expansion control of the piston and a little surface a rust makes no difference in their function.

Pull out each piston pin and examine it for any hint of rust where the pins rides in the pin bores. If any, then use a suuuper fine crocus cloth to remove.... like a 1000 grit. A clean, super smooth piston-pin-to-bore surface is important.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts