Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a nasty storm roll thru northern Georgia yesterday evening. Weather reports said the same old, same old - severe thunderstorms, possible hail, blah, blah, blah. The usual here is when you hear that you will have some heavy rain and sleet to tiny hail with little or no effect. I mean, who listens to weathermen anyway?
Well, the usual black clouds rolled in but the sky turned deep green (not that wierd tint to the light but really, really green skies) and the rain started up then petered out. Then the hail came down. Like it was being fired at the ground. I know in other areas of the country this might seem less than amazing but we don't get much true golf ball sized to chicken egg size hail. It was exploding on impact in some cases and left 'scoured' spots on our concrete walkway and roof shingles. It also hit my GT and my husband's Accord. A lot. Now our cars look like golf balls. Not as bad as it could be I'm sure but there are a fair amount of dimples. Thank the lord no broken glass. Not for lack of it trying I'm sure. Thought about trying to go out and put some quilts or something over the car but I would've been brained. Kind of wish I'd found something to put over me so I could have tried but probably better I didn't.
Hope no one else in Georgia had their Opels smacked. It was a sad moment. I was hoping nothing more would happen for a while after the crankshaft. But hey, the Accord needs painting and a little body work so we'll experiment on that and then look at the Opel. :D Boy, I've got a great husband.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Ging;
I was in the dentist office (6pm-8pm) at the time it hit Snellville (east of Atlanta, but, far south of Ging) and we got dime sized, but, in quanities that when I walked out of the dentist office, there was "snow-drift" sized piles all over the place!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Jeez Ging, ya'll did get it. I've only seen it hit like that here once, with a size like that. Last year, during the summer, we got hit with smaller size hail that was so thick and so furious, you couldn't see 3 ft ahead of you. My son and I were in the farm truck, and I pulled into a farm road and aimed the rear of the truck towards the storm so it would take out the rear window, not the front. It stripped the leaves off the stalks of plants and trees and covered the ground and looked like snow. Start to finish time of the storm was about 15 min. All my good vehicles were under cover or in the garage. The ins adjusters were overloaded for the next month. Glad you sustained no serious injurys, you and cars. Jarrell

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
If you still have any hail left, cut them in half. They have rings like trees. You can see how many times they went up and down in the sky before hitting the ground. I'm an old weather nut :p Hopefully the OPEL just got minor damage. Good luck

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Ging,

I am just south of you, Acworth, just off US 41 & GA 92 @ lake Altoona. It hit with only pea size hail. I was able to get all cars under cover. I hope your GT is OK!! I have sure there are some tricks on getting the dimples out. (Dent Doctor). Glade you are OK!!

·
Opeler
160 Posts
GA Hail storm

It was a heck of a storm. I was looking forward to being in a area again that HAS thunderstorms? I was telling my better half about the joys of the afternoon thunderstorms as I remembered them from Wisconsin, but after 20 years in CA I had forgot about the hail factor! I guess I was lucky in this one, no hail here but it got me to thinking what would happen to my Sebring that was parked outside. It has, besides the conv. top, a fiberglass hood and what looks to be injection molded plastic trunk deck.
Ging, hopefully the cars are not too bad off, and it is fortunate that there was no broken glass as they had pictures of in the paper the next day. Also in today's paper, they say some car dealers around the area here are willing to deal on slightly dented cars off their lots! Ouch!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts