Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 67 L Kadett. The engine knocks. Back window busted but replaced with some fancy plexy glass work done. intieror is well seen better days. Its sitting in my driveway taking up space. I really want to get it running. I am at My wits end on trying to figure it out.

My father says sounds like it has a bent rod, my uncle says it sounds like the heads are slapping bare metal.

Basically the engine was rebuilt in the 80's. I have rebuilt the carburator, then got one off a renalt (SP?).

One day I was driving and the oil light poped on, luckily I was close enough to home to limp it, but the engine didnt sound healthy and I dont think I did it any good. I want to put another engine in it or get this one fixed, I dont know what would be easier.

I have looked around and found a V6 out of a 77 mustang that would fit in the engine compartment. but the rest is yet to be known.

Basically I need to know my options, whats worth it, whats available, and what are possible solutions, thanks to all.

I am litteraly at wits end, Note, frantic style typing. THanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
well, to do a quick engine swap, you'd need another Opel motor, and since it's a 67, and you didn't say, it should have a 1.1, and that's a problem in itself. There aren't too many Opelers that have the 1.1, most have the 1.9. Any other motors would require a lot of fabricating just to mount the motor, let alone run it. Not having seen the car, but, just going on how you have described it, selling the car as a parts car ould be your best bet, and don't look to get too much, probably not much more than $100. Not having a picture or pictures and going by what you have described, most would not pay over that for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
from long experience...re your 67 Kadett 1.1

I've had my 71 Kadett wagon with 1.1 for about 17 years, with a lot of repairs. Take my advice about the repair, and DON'T do this any other way.

Remove the engine per any good instruction manual. The easiest way is to remove the front suspension while supporting the engine with a hoist; otherwise, the oil pan will not pass the cross member. Then COMPLETELY disassemble the engine, and take block, head, cam, lifters, pistons and crank set to a top-notch machinist. Whatever he says needs to be done, do it. Order from someone like Opel GT Source in Sonora (here's the url: http://opelgtsource.com ); Dennis has a lot of 1.1 parts in stock, and will send prepaid orders out same day. Put it all back together; add an oil cooler (the oil gets really hot in the 1.1). It should last 100k or more with proper oil changes.

Good luck. BTW, my wife hates my Kadett...but I am trying to figure a way to keep it, despite the fact that it got vandalized (see post about windows missing.).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*update*

Its still sitting in my drive way. The memories still poor from inside when it did run. I have not been able to do anything do to financial issues and storage and shop space lacking there of.

My Mom and dad want to give it away. I am trying to sell everything I can afford to sell to get it back up.

Any one know of any mazda engines that would fit. I am not worried about keeping it original I like the body and the way it handles... so much love so little money. :(

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
If you find the original 1.1 litre motor too expensive to rebuild right now then carefully think about replacing it with something like a 1.2 litre Datsun motor and gearbox or a Dodge "Cricket" or something else quite small and rear wheel drive. Keep the original engine if you can for later rebuilding. Find an older brother/cousin etc. who is automotively inclined to help you. Evening classes at the local College can be helpful (and the willingness to learn and attend them should impress your folks!) Point out it is all due to having the wee car that interests you in furthering your automotive education! What folks could really resist that???

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
I'm going to guess that your in school with no job. So, that might be a problem. I'm not sure why your folks are saying to give it away when they know you want it. It does seem to have a nice body. If mom and dad want to buy you a new car, tell them to save some of that money for a weekend out (them, of course) and order you a rebuilt motor. Your car is an antique now and if keeped in running condition may be worth alot in the future. You can order rear glass from a junkyard (most are on-line now) and the interior is something you can repair with patience. Pick up a garage sale sewing machine and get a girlfriend to get ya started. Your parents, I would think, should be happy to see a son deicated on a project when so many think money grows in mom and dad's bank account. Stick to your guns, but be polite. I would rather "listen to a good reason" than have a "argumentive & loud" one.
I hate to see people go into big debt when a much smaller amount will repair a "Wanted" item. Sorry, but that's my 2c's.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i know where i can get a good running 1.1 liter GT for 400 bucks, it drives, so you could keep it for parts too, rear end, trans, other things of the such too, let me know if your interested..........

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got as far as using the ass of it for storage. I recently blew the engine in my honda ricer, so that is junk and now gives me some actuall motivation to fix the old opel.

Later today I will be pulling the engine and flipping it to take off the oil pan. how ever this is all being done in my drive way with a set of basic stanley tool set and alot of... lets call it creativity.

I do not have a proper garage or equip at my disposal but I am making do.

Green where is the gt located? I wouldnt mind getting the gt depending on where it is at, and parts are ALWAYS nice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*update*

It appears to be a conecting rod cap has come just lose enough to lose oil presure. so the search begins for a fix.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the 1100 GT is in hopkins michigan, mapquest will give you an idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

I am going to go with a ford mustang engine out of a 71 mustang, V6. it is going to require alot of retro fitting but it will turn the little wagon into a screaming beast.

I will try to keep you all updated as it goes but I am stuck with trying to find a place to do all the work. I am half tempted to take out the wall of my bedroom and do it all in there, and just sleep in the car. but I dont know how much my parents would like that.

thanks for all the help and I will let you all know how it goes turning the 67 wagon into a 67 wagon screamer. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts