Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
opelbits

here is the weird snorkel that came with my car, I don't know if this is home made or if it was some kind of performance part.

Attachments

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is another weird item that came with my gt, I have never seen one of thsese before, it covers where the manual fuel pump would go if you use an electric pump.
I am selling this piece on ebay right now if anyone is interested in it.

Chris

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
That's a fuel pump block-off from C & R Small Cars, circa early 1980's. Made by hand by Dave Cooley, former engine builder for the company. Wow, I haven't seen one of those (with the Blitz) in years.....

Bob

·
Detritus Maximus
2,839 Posts
That snorkel looks like the stock piece to me. I have 5-6 of them.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have ones like that one with the strainer thing on the bottom like this?? I have seen maybe 100 GT engines in person and they all had a base that attached to that piece pictured(minus the strainer style thing), and then had an extended snorkel that went through the firewall, I had never seen one like this.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,839 Posts
There may have been a change at some point in the design. I'll take a look through my 'stock' (my favorite way to put it!:D ) and compare some of them. I'll look in my parts books to see if there are differences, too.

·
Driver
987 Posts
Chris,
I have one of those snorkle types as a spare. It came with some stuff I got out of a 1970 GT. Maybe those were the earlier style?
Not real good for changing filters. If I remember that IS the filter, right? Nothing removable?
George

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Wierd Air Filter

Chris,
Do you have a picture of that wierd air filter thing from a different angle? It almost looks like a "pre-filter" that goes on top of the cannister filter, but it is hard to tell from that angle.

George,
Are you saying that early GT's had this type of filter, in lieu of a typical replaceable paper filter? The snorkle cannister was stock on all 1.9 GT's (and used a similar arrangement on the 1.1 litre engines), but many have been replaced by sandwich-type elements when the Solex was tossed in favour of a Weber. Here's an example (and it happens to have A/C, and check out the valve cover cap!)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Stock (Chrome) Air Filter

And here is what a stock unit looks like. Well, not quite, since the is one is chromed!

Attachments

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Seems Stock

I've got one for my 69 and 70 looks just like it.
Don't use them though I use a similar one without the mesh stuff.
I assumed they were stock ones.

·
Driver
987 Posts
Kieth,
No, It is the snorkle type. When you Unclip the fasteners that hold down the snorkle, and flip it over this is what you see, the honey comb looking thing. The top looks just like the later models with the insertable filter. This is just built into the snorkle.
George
1973 GT
wanting a Kadett wagon for my daily driver.=-)
Someone must work in a chroming shop!:p

·
Driver
987 Posts
Oops. I mean Keith. Darn dislexia
George :eek:

·
Administrator
10,231 Posts
GGT said:
Oops. I mean Keith. Darn dislexia
George :eek:
*George is just trying to get his 10 posts in*:p

Anyway, I believe that mesh snorkel is from the early oil bath type filters. Most were replaced by the later paper filter as soon as they were available.

·
Driver
987 Posts
Yeah, so? Oh, hey, that's 10! I'm going to bed now.
I'll get it tomorrrow.
George
Picture to follow, I don't know what yet.:D

·
Opeler
399 Posts
Oil cap

Hi,
This for Wilford.
So, I'm looking at the picture of your car (engine compartment).Some of the stuff in there I don't recognize,BUT I started drooling?? over your oil cap.
How do I get one. Pleeese help
thanks
Marius

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Hi,
This for Wilford.
So, I'm looking at the picture of your car (engine compartment).Some of the stuff in there I don't recognize,BUT I started drulling?? over your oil cap.
How do I get one. Pleeese help
thanks
Marius

Elbow grease - polish a stock one!

·
Opeler
399 Posts
thanks,
No problem there.
Just that mine does not look like that..wonder if it's a replacement.
Mine looks round with little indentations all around

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
oh see Keith I'm not the only one to call you Kieth some times :D its been going on for years :D

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,405 Posts
Just that mine does not look like that..wonder if it's a replacement.
Mine looks round with little indentations all around
Maybe you want to walk around the rear of your GT, maybe you even have a cap just like it? If you still don't find it, go to your local gas station, and fill up your gas tank. If you still don't see any resemblance, you need to search for a replacement gas cap on your GT!

Dieter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts