Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 · (Edited)
yah i no all german cars will leak some oil but just mine has a little more then some, well i found out a cross refrence for the distributer seal it is the same seal that is used on the 3.9l bitter distributer, i found this out since i basiclly have a bitter parts warehouse 20 feet from were i work on my opel, i replaced it and it seems to have kept some oil from seeping out. anthor thing is i removed my mechanical fuel pump and have installed the spacer and cover plate which i no is deffinettly not my problem, im gonna take a pick of were i see the most oil seepage from i want u all to tell me were u think its coming from. will post pics with in the next hour or so.

you can see that little puddle of oil on the water pump thats what i think is my main cause of oil leakage i swear it looks like its coming from the head gasket but im thinking it could possibly be from that steel cover plate right above there is there a certain seal for that? or is it my head gasket, but i how could that be got great compression got great oil pressure oil looks prestine, an ideas?

Attachments

10- or 12-bolt head?

pvcar said:
yah i no all german cars will leak some oil but just mine has a little more then some, . . . .

you can see that little puddle of oil on the water pump thats what i think is my main cause of oil leakage i swear it looks like its coming from the head gasket but im thinking it could possibly be from that steel cover plate right above there is there a certain seal for that? or is it my head gasket, but i how could that be got great compression got great oil pressure oil looks prestine, an ideas?
If sealed properly in some critical areas during assembly and vented properly during operation, there is no reason why Opel CIH engines can't be leak-free! :eek:

Though 10-bolt heads are a more prone to leak from the front seal to the timing cover than the later 12-bolt heads, proper application of sealer to the front edge of the head gasket during installation CAN prevent this.

My '69 Kadett 1.9 (10-bolt head) displayed a nasty Niagara syndrome at this very place when I bought it last year. This is a fairly common phenomenon on high-mileage or time-worn "10-bolt" CIH engines. The ONLY cure for this is head gasket replacement and proper sealant application to both sides of the cork surfaces where the head mates with the timing cover!

R-Bob suggests 2 coats of "copper seal" sprayed on entire head gasket and completely dried between coats. When second coat becomes somewhat tacky, apply a thin, even coat of Permatex Ultra-Grey sealer to both sides of the cork front edge of the head gasket and then use immediately when this sealer surface sets. THIS WORKS!! Mine doesn't leak a drop now and hasn't for almost a year! :)

some major leaks!!!!

i have replaced my valve cover gasket with a cork one. i have a large flat puddle of oil on my garage floor.. it appears to be driping from the fuel pump, but i replaced it not long ago, but from a closer look it looks like my spacer gasket split. it also looks like there is oil leaking from the oil pump cover, and there is a drop of oil on the oil filter, it is tight too.(it appears that something was leaking onto the filter) ... It is also dripping from the oil drainage bolt, but it looks like it is driping on to it, not driping from it.. it is tight also. now my final leak appears to be on the water pump. at the top it looks wet, like a water/oil mixture. yes my car has been sitting on jackstands since mid october. i've went out to start it up once a week. i should have the brakes fixed by next weekend, and want to get some of these leaks stoped. is there anyways i could've messed up on installing the fuel pump?

the leak is about 2-1/2 feet x 2-1/2 feet... and it took since mid october... is this a bad leak?

pvcar and billy one question for both of you

have you used a fully synthetic oil?
if so it will kill your seals and you will have to change them for new ones

ode22 said:
i am having a problem with the oil pump cover. i have replaced the oil pump cover gasket several times and still can not stop the slow leak. i even replaced the oil pump cover from ogts and used the appropriate gaskets as well. i have tried to find if it is coming from somewhere else and it doesn't seem to be. it seems to be coming from the lowest to bolts on the drivers side and when i remove the cover oil seems to be coming from the bolts holes as well. i need to check the original oil relief valve to make sure that it is inoperable. thanks.

I too changed my oil pump cover plate and it moved my oil pressure up an advarage of 2 bars on the oil pressure gauge. This is a good thing, however now I am getting an oil leak. I found this reference to making the original oil relief valve inoperable and don't think I did this. Could this be the reason for the oil leak and how do you make the original inoperable? :cool:

Dye in oile

There is a dye you can add to your oil and then shine a "black light" on the engine and you should be able to see where the oil is coming from. Check with your mechanic and he/she should be able to point you in the right direction. Hopefully this will locate the source of your leak.

did u just use gasket material? and also u are talking about the round section that goes into the engine right below the top of the distributer? so i would pull the distributer then install new gasket reinstall no use of sealer or anything else? ill do this at the same time as the front seal since i wont be getting around to doing the front seal today anyways, thanks for the tip.
did you figure out what was causing the leak at the trans and engine meet point?
I am having the same issue right after the trans was serviced and I had a new clutch put in... I find it hard to believe that all of sudden the oil pan is now leaking when it wasn't before the service...... losing lots of oil... any ting you learned ?

did you figure out what was causing the leak at the trans and engine meet point?
I am having the same issue right after the trans was serviced and I had a new clutch put in... I find it hard to believe that all of sudden the oil pan is now leaking when it wasn't before the service...... losing lots of oil... any ting you learned ?
It's common for an oil pan to leak after a clutch job. The engine gets supported, often, by the oil pan. The weight of the engine on the oil pan gasket can crush it a little and then it needs to be snugged up. Often overlooked by many mechanics. Including myself.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.