Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the normal operating oil pressure, and is it normal for the pressure to go from 10 pounds at idle to 35 pounds at anywhere above 3000 rpm. i checked all of the connections and nothing seems to be loose. could it be an internal sender problem?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
each bar equals 15 PSI oil pressure, if i've read/remembered correctly....so 10 pounds would be pretty bad at an idle for a opel, and 35 PSI above 3 grand would also be weak. but if its one bar (most people mistake 1 bar for 10 pounds), then that would be OK, and 3.5 bars running above 3000RPM is pretty normal for a good motor.

·
Opeler
89 Posts
I know this is a old thread..
but something I have never seen clearly answered is what is normal oil pressure for an Opel at:

1) idle (1k RPM)
2) "Running Speed" (3.5K RPM or so).
3) And what point should the relief valve open ?

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
With fresh oil (10w-30) and filter, warmed up, my car reads:
Idle: 2
3,500rpm: 4
5,000 rpm: 4-1/4
So the relief valve is un-seating at about 4.
Not sure what one line on the gage is in PSI?
Lyle

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
1 line = 1 bar of atmospheric pressure or 14.7 PSI

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
How about on the temp gage? Any idea what the marks represent? Where does an average engine run? My temp gage needle stays just past the very left hand mark when fully warmed up. If I pull the wire, it drops way to the left, so I know something is working. Even when the engine is cold, it is a hair lower and it moves to the right as the engine warms up, but only a 1/16" or so.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
asdasc said:
How about on the temp gage? Any idea what the marks represent? Where does an average engine run? My temp gage needle stays just past the very left hand mark when fully warmed up. If I pull the wire, it drops way to the left, so I know something is working. Even when the engine is cold, it is a hair lower and it moves to the right as the engine warms up, but only a 1/16" or so.
With a SEARCH, you will find:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/1e-oth...instrument-panel/573-temp-gauge-question.html

and

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/1e-other-electrical-gauges-instrument-panel/3231-temp-guage.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts