Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a leak at the oil pump. removed all 6 screws and pump cover won't budge. Any suggestions on safe removal?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
smack the pump cover with the butt of a screwdriver or small rubber mallet, they get stuck on pretty darn good. just watch out for the pump gears when they fall out the bottom, have an oil pan ready too.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
prime pump

After you reassemble, don't forget to prime the pump before you start the engine. I would suggest removing the coil wire and crank the engine until you get oil pressure. If it is an old engine, I would get a new cover from OGTS to ensure you don't have any pressure relief problems in the near future.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
a better way to prime the pump is to pull a square tiped pipe plug out of the timing chain cover just above the oil pump, and fill that hole with oil. this runs down into the oil pump and it will pump oil pressure faster and will be less likely to scratch and scar the pump cover from no oil.

·
415 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
a better way to prime the pump is to pull a square tiped pipe plug out of the timing chain cover just above the oil pump, and fill that hole with oil. this runs down into the oil pump and it will pump oil pressure faster and will be less likely to scratch and scar the pump cover from no oil.

What do you use to pull this? I tried with a crescent wrench that would fit in the gap but it would'nt turn before it started to round the nut.

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Try a 12-point socket and a ratchet. Much less chance of rounding the plug edges over....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.