Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have read something about the above but can't find the thread and thought someone may benefit from my story as I have benefited from so many of yours.
So I continue to live and learn, slowly. My 70 GT is equipped with a rebuilt 2.0 and for the past 20 years has had a very slow leak from the oil pump. When I ordered the engine in the mid 90's I was told that it was just like a 1.9 with everything bolting up as a 1.9 or being the same. Mostly correct but not totally. Anyway I decide to finally correct that slow leak and remove the oil pump cover, much to my surprise there was no gasket, and no sign of sealant either and at this time I had no knowledge of sealants. So I installed a gasket and my oil pressure plummeted. Turns out that if you have a certain year timing chain cover/oil pump it requires a sealant, a stock 1.9 uses the gasket. So I have removed the gasket and replaced it with Loctite 518 very thin coat and my oil pressure is back to between 3 and 3.5. Where it had dropped to 2 to 2.5 and at idle was around 1. That was scary.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
I know I have read something about the above but can't find the thread and thought someone may benefit from my story as I have benefited from so many of yours.
So I continue to live and learn, slowly. My 70 GT is equipped with a rebuilt 2.0 and for the past 20 years has had a very slow leak from the oil pump. When I ordered the engine in the mid 90's I was told that it was just like a 1.9 with everything bolting up as a 1.9 or being the same. Mostly correct but not totally. Anyway I decide to finally correct that slow leak and remove the oil pump cover, much to my surprise there was no gasket, and no sign of sealant either and at this time I had no knowledge of sealants. So I installed a gasket and my oil pressure plummeted. Turns out that if you have a certain year timing chain cover/oil pump it requires a sealant, a stock 1.9 uses the gasket. So I have removed the gasket and replaced it with Loctite 518 very thin coat and my oil pressure is back to between 3 and 3.5. Where it had dropped to 2 to 2.5 and at idle was around 1. That was scary.
Yup. Later 2.0’s, all 2.2’s, and all 2.4’s have a timing cover with a slightly longer oil pump gear housing. Gears are the same as a 1.9 however.

On the 1.9’s, the gears protrude past the housing, and the gasket thickness establishes the gear end play.

·
Administrator
10,238 Posts
The 3.0 that is in my '84 Senator was rebuilt by Roger Wilson. When I pulled the oil pump cover, it had a gasket. I reassembled it using anaerobic sealant in place of the gasket and promptly sheared the pin on the gear on the dizzy. I guess he had replaced the original with a 1.9 cover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts