Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I find myself perusing and browsing the internet looking at various odd things because of some various odd thoughts I've had involving creating a phantom 1969 Mustang coupe model as if DeTomaso had been involved similar to Shelby and similar to DeTomaso's involvement in a little remembered Dodge Omni 024 package called...the DeTomaso. How's that for a run on sentence? Anyway, most will know DeTomaso from the Pantera.

Anyway, I find myself on "Bring A Trailer" looking at a DeTomaso 024 and then off to the right side in a gallery of pics of cars being auctioned I see this:

Attachments

·
Detritus Maximus
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I read the history....handbuilt using the remains of a 2002 Chrysler 300M when it was a virtually new car. Midengined, even. I can see some hints of the old Auto Union racers from the 30's. Bidding is at $5900. Interesting, I thought. I figured I needed to make a link to this to point out that this was right up Gordon's, our own venerable SciFi Guy, alley.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-handbuilt-custom-registered-in-texas-as-asve-hammond-roadster/

But before doing that I decided to look thru the comments.....as I scrolled thru I saw this...

Jun 1 at 9:38 AM $5,250 bid placed by Sci-fi-guy

I thought to myself, No way. It can't be. And it wasn't, but I can't help but wonder which would be more odd, that is was or that it wasn't.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,278 Posts
Wahhhhh! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Yeah, there's a bunch of dudes out there who use derivatives of the hallowed The Scifi Guy name.

Man, that is one weird, funky, car.

Too weird and funky even for The Scifi Guy!

:lmao:

·
Super Moderator
13,457 Posts
It looks like Dr Suess took a few hits off a bong, then went out into the garage to build a Porsche 959.

Reactions: OrangPeEL

·
Detritus Maximus
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
250hp and 2400lbs with driver. This from the builder:

hammond10170 (The Seller) 83
@kosmickat The car is fast. I have never tried to time it to 60, but I would guess it would be under 6 seconds. If you really went for it, maybe under 5. The manual mode of the automatic works better than you might think. It will hold revs up to redline if you want, then bump it into 2nd. I drive it primarily in the manual shift mode. I really like being able to downshift it into turns. The handling is really good. The car is low and wide with a low center of gravity. It has long arm/short arm, wishbone suspension on all 4 corners. With high performance tires, it is glued to the road.

·
Über Genius
8,924 Posts
If it were closer, I'd give it a serious thought.
On the internet it looks like I wouldn't be able to get into it.

I ran into a similar thing just a couple weeks ago. A finished kit car that I've always wanted came up for sale. It was at an auction and I was ready to bid on it.
I went down to see it and there's no way someone 5'11"could drive it.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I think it's kinda cool. Showed it to my wife, who is looking for a fun car that is not "cookie cutter", and she loved it. Not really practical though, neither one of us could get into it.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know, I see a bit of the non-streamliner C-type (Audi, not Jag) in the proportions and the louvered engine cover. With the top on it, I starts to have some of the feel of that little claustrophobic cabin on the streamliner

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,278 Posts
I ran into a similar thing just a couple weeks ago. A finished kit car

I'm a member of a kit car Facebook group. It seems that most of the members are British. Wow, there are SO many cool kit cars out there going all the way back to the 60's. Some are finished, some haven't been started, all of them look brand new. Gotta love fiberglass. Unlike our cars, they can leave them wide open in the back yard for years when their project stalls and 10 years later they can resume working on it like they last worked on it yesterday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts