Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is why we can't have nice things.

https://youtu.be/riUiHEAzseM

I searched and found a few threads on here. I'm sure many have already seen this, it's impressive work on many levels. The body restoration work was extensive and the rot they found here is what I'm afraid of running into on the '73 I dug out of the mud. If you haven't seen this car and don't want to look at all the gory details then FF to the last minute and a half of the vid.

·
Pedal Smasher
1,954 Posts
No idea who did it. Seems like a waste of the hard work they did, to not keep it mostly stock. But, to each their own. At least it was well done and not a hack job.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,832 Posts
Holy schitt! Unless he dipped it in acid and then immediately into galvanizing solution(like Tom King did), that car wouldn't last a year where I live before all those welds would start rusting. It would last just fine in the low humidity out west, but not here in the soggy, steamy, Northeast. Holy Canoli, I can't believe he took the roof skin off! I've never seen anyone do that. Wow, that guy really likes to do body work and he's really good at it. Congrats to him for doing an amazing job!

:yup:

·
Can Opeler
3,186 Posts
This car was done by retropower they do some incredible work with Opels in Europe. I sure as heck wouldn’t pay that kind of money just for a restore to stock condition. IMO this is way better.

Gordo those welds will be no worse off than standard sheet metal that’s painted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. Agreed on with all on many fronts. Very insightful.

I hear ya Auto, but I'd still like to see how it drives out!...🤔😳😁

Again, afraid the 73 is as rotted or worse. I'm unsure as how I want to prep the 2 or 3 sq ft of good metal I might have and then how to prep the 40 sq feet of repair areas. Also I know how welds love to rust so afraid of them and want to put some thought into the final surface prep. There's a thread regarding that here that makes an interesting read.

Like the outfit that did this, I want to get my bodywork as good and to need no more than a credit card thickness of filler.

·
Pedal Smasher
1,954 Posts
If I was going to do a bunch of body work on a GT, I'd coat it with rust-oleum or something similar. The hard part will be getting at the areas inside the body. Dipping a body into a vat of primer right before paint would be a fantastic idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts