Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello, I have a question about old Mantas. I found an old 70´s Manta sitting in a back yard that has been off the road since 1994. The body is in good enough shape but the interion is trashed. How is the parts availability and pricing? How difficult is it to rebuild these old engines? I have some experience in working on old GM cars but little on Opels. Is it worth it to pursue this basket case? Let me know. Virginia Ed

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, An older Manta with a decent body would sound like a cool project. The engine is the same 1.9 liter that´s in the GT. I think the Mantas were made between 1973 and 1975. There´s a place called Opel GT Source, that should have anything or everything you might need, or they can help you to find it. Let us know if you take the plunge and buy it. I owned two brand new Mantas in their day, a 1973 silver coupe, and a 1900 wagon in 1974. Both were great cars.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Virginia Ed

Update: After a detailed inspection of the undercarrige and interior I must conclude that although this car may be good for a parts car, as a restroation progect it is not worth it. The undercarrige has major cancer and has been welded at least once. Everything in the interior, from the headliner to the carpet is a total loss. I´ll ask the guy if he would like me to post his phone number here so someone elese can use it as a parts car. Thanks, Virginia Ed

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Better to find out now than later. Watch the classic auto magazines..I found a GT from Oklahoma, which had never had any rust......there are good solid cars out there. Gordy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Interior parts can be tricky.. but can be found.

Mechanically, and extrenal trim and sheetmetal are no problem. I have them or can get them.

http://www.opelmanta.com

But you're right it sounds like a basket case. If you have any more info send it my way, I am looking to start picking up some parts cars and you're in my neck of the woods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts