Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, now I don't feel so out of place. Though I can't retire, yet myself. Got a 6 yr old daughter which makes me 62 when she's 18. Oh well, might as well work till social wants me to (66).:(

·
Registered
149 Posts
As fast as the government moves out SS retirement and my employer cuts retirement benefits, I'll be dead first 89. In the last 10 years I haven't seen anyone INCREASING retirement benefits. Plus, the 401K has a huge dent in it. :(

I'll be 59 when my daughter turns 18. She's 3 now. 3 is a very good age to be. Life is good. :)

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait till they come and say: "I'm gonna marry so-and-so, and then you can have grandkids to visit":eek: This from my daughter last month after my birth day party. 6 going on 16. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
149 Posts
My son is 6 going on 16. He thinks he'll be President by 16. Luckily, he considers girls icckky now. Daughter is a daddy's girl. Great for me. In a few years she'll think I'm the old guy in the garage. Enjoy it while you can.:)

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No doubt about that. Daddy's girl is another way of saying she's (yours and mine) got us wrapped around they're little fingers! ;)
Mine lives with her mom but she spends more time with me (dad is alot better at giving tickles :D ).

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,322 Posts
:D Hey Guys don't knock the little girls so much. For my retirement cookout my little girl (30 years olds now) surprised me with my second GT. Drove up to New Jersey and trailered it down that same day. After an emotional thank you, I told her everything she did that pissed me off when she was growing up was forgiven. I outgrew my first GT about fifteen years ago but the girl said she remembered crawling in the back and going to sleep on those long drives and thought another 73 GT was a great way to begin retirement. She was right ......... I feel like a lost family member has return home. OPEL GT forever !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
im turning 16 and im ready to retire! so i can just work on my toys all day. one of these days one of my relitives will win the lottery and ill have a fleet of lamborghinis and of coarse gt's:D i cant wait until my jr. year i will be taking autobody at boces half the day. ill do something i love (working on cars) and get high school credits for it!

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
MICAH!........what a fantastic gift!

When I was 2yrs old my parents bought a 6mnth old GT/J and made some cushions for me to sit on in the back, I can remember the car and holidays around Europe in it. A few years later I started complaining about the lack of space and eventually my dad sold the GT/J and bought an 'A' Series Manta GT/E Black Magic.

My dad stayed true to Opels all the way and when I was 14-15yrs old he brought home a magazine that feature a GT article, the article was in Mayfair!!!!!! He also showed me some photos of his old car. I grew very interested and he took me to a meeting where I joined the club, I guess it must have been guilt after making him sell that sweet GT!

Aged 25 I finally bought my first GT, I'm now on my 5th and thankfully Dad got the bug all over again. A few more years have passed and I'm now Editor for the UK GT Owners Club and he's now on his 3rd GT and loving every minute of it......as is mum.

With our first child, I know there's no way that I'll be selling our GT, no matter how much complaining.......all I hope is that our kid gets the bug too......imagine that a GT owning family spanning 3 generations.

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,322 Posts
Motor Mouth and others, lets hope that the good people who created this outstanding website will continue to inspire others to search the classified section of newspapers, and salvage yards all over this globe called earth to maintain or resurrect every OPEL (GT and Manta). I known this sound gunho but people from all over this word hit this site and express their thoughts and affection for these motor cars called OPEL...........

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
well, no little girl stories here, but never the less a story. my dad had a few favorite cars of the day*had 32 at the age of 16* they included a 69 400SS 4 speed chevelle, 61 plymouth something, with less that 5000 miles, 66 chevelle ragtop, show condition and all origional, 67 firebird with a camaro z28 suspension package. the 69 chevelle and the plymouth went to the crusher due to a jealous junkyard owner. the ragtop chevelle was traded for the firebird and 2500 bucks, the chevelle was totaled a year later. sold the firebird for no reason, and traded his Opel GT for a 62 bug, that now sits in a car mueseum. i seen a 70 GT behind the corner of a barn last fall and bought it for my dad, came with a bunch of parts and 2 part cars. bought the lot for 400 bucks and had a cousin of mine help me take it to my moms, where i hid it all from october until december 25th. thats right it was his christmas present. i had never seen the old man so happy, so happy he actually cried!!! work kept him from working on the car too much, so i didnt have anything better to do when the snow stopped coming and snowmobiling was over, so i started working on the car in march. he fealt bad cuz he never helped me with my car and i was here working on his, and i got the car running and dang near drivable, and he said this is now my first car!!! bought the car for him and he gave it back, i told him i would not take it back and he said i will, that his young days are over and that it was just nice to see one of those again to bring back all those old memories. he now works on a 66 impala ragtop, identical to the one he had to sell 8 years back for lawyer fees, and i work on a old long gone dream car of his.............

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,322 Posts
:D
IT SEEMS LIKE WE ALL HAVE GREAT FAMILY MEMORIES THAT HAVE BEEN BUILT AROUND OUR OPEL. YOURS WAS A GREAT STORY
WHERE YOU AND YOUR FATHER KEPT PASSING THE TORCH FROM ONE TO THE OTHER. MAN THIS CAR (OPEL) IS SOMETHING SPECIAL ....................

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's always a cool thing to hear these stories and to find out what we all have in common: young/old & rich/poor. And around the Opel world which is a nice thing, considering the world today. I was over in the UK acouple of times and saw some nice Opels (too bad I was on the way to a war and/or UN duty, no time too chat):(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Micah wrote:
>Motor Mouth and others, lets hope that the good people who created this outstanding website will continue to inspire others[...]

I don't have an Opel yet, but I just wanted to say that it's threads like this that made me truly fall in love with Opels. This is, by far, the nicest, most helpful, and most passionate group of people I have ever encountered.

Over the last three weeks, I found two GTs while I was driving on other errands. I followed both of them to their destinations (fortunately, not far!) and stopped to talk to the owners. They were both so nice, and both love their cars so much. And they didn't even blink when I asked them to flip their headlights for me. ;-)

I'll be getting a GT of my own sometime, hopefully within the next six months. Maybe then I, too, can inspire someone.

Feeling *so* cheesy,
Nathan

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Yuppers. I'll be sixty when my little man turns 18. He's only 2 1/2 and already knows how turn on the Camry!! Just from watching me. Yikes!!! Have to come with a childproof device for this.

If it is up to him (and the Missus) the '70 GT will be Yellow. Tis presently the Fireglow Red. Had a couple of minutes yesterday and did the polishing compound on a small spot. There is a beauty there just waiting to be unleashed.

There are days when I feel like Cinderella putting on the magic slipper. Just getting in the '69 and taking her for a short spin. I feel like we were made for each other. Jeesz, did that sound sappy or what!:p

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I took my wife out Saturday night in the GT we bought for our boys to drive around.

Funny thing was, she remembered the first time she sat in my first GT 22 years ago. She remembered how the front passenger side floor pan was full of empty cans. Of course, I remembered how I had replaced the factory carpet with shag, bronze and gold colored shag. At least the carpet matched the metallic gold paint on the outside.

Also funny how GTs have gotten smaller in those past 22 years.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OH NO! houserc is right!! My GT has shrunk!:D I guess it's a good thing my GT didn't come with seats. I can modify a pair of newer "Comphy" ;) seats beacause surely, we older types don't have the SPREADS!!:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts