Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old Engine - Low Miles

This is a general info question for which I'm seeking input and/or suggestions. I recently put a 1972 car back on the road that has 34,000 original miles. Obviously it's been sitting around for alot of it's life. I have confirmed that the mileage is genuine. (not 134,000) The engine runs perfectly and does not smoke except for a small puff of blue when I first start it. Going down the road it does not smoke at all. However, I just took this car on a 1200 mile trip and it's using a quart of oil every 200 miles or so. The engine is bone dry on the outside and there is never a single drop of oil on the ground beneath it. My guess is that 33 year old rubber valve seals are dried up and rotten and probably leaking all the oil. Just not sure why it doesn't smoke more than it does. Anyone have other suggestions???

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Oil consumption, no leaks . . .

simplemind7 said:
it could also a cracked head or broken piston rings...
With that low mileage and left sitting often, more likely collapsed rings than cracked. Cracked head would exhibit other problems also.

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input. My plan for this weekend was to do a compression check on all the cylinders. But I had forgotten to check the PCV valve. Another possibility.

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not Opel

This is not an Opel. It has a PCV valve. But I still think that if it were the PCV valve...it would be smoking more than it does.

·
Opeler
4 Posts
shade tree said:
Valve seals is where I would start. Also change the PCV valve.
I dont think that it is the valve seals so much as the rings. What makes me think this is that it doesnt smoke after it warms up. Usually when valve seals are toast your car will smoke badly when it runs..... I think when you compression test it that it will have low compression..... Worn rings.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I had a 33 year old engine with 34000 miles, that ran perfectly, but used to much oil. My goal would be to reduce oil consumption to a reasonable level and drive it. With the least amount of $ and time.
I was not saying it was not collapsed rings. Just where I would start.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts