Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to start a thread to document my adventure of restoring my recent 1970 GT. I don't plan to post hundreds of photos of each step of the renovation, but rather to post photos of major milestones. I purchased this car last spring in Pennsylvania. It spent nearly all of it's 45 years in a barn. The car has 40,000 original miles and is nearly rust free. Unfortunately the guy I bought the car from messed the car up. He traded work with a guy and ended up with a really bad paint job. He also tried to get the engine running with stuck rings and ended up scoring the cylinder walls. When I bought the car, he had the head off trying to figure out why he didn't have compression on two cylinders.

·
Über Genius
9,722 Posts
I decided to start a thread to document my adventure of restoring my recent 1970 GT. I don't plan to post hundreds of photos of each step of the renovation, but rather to post photos of major milestones. I purchased this car last spring in Pennsylvania. It spent nearly all of it's 45 years in a barn. The car has 40,000 original miles and is nearly rust free. Unfortunately the guy I bought the car from messed the car up. He traded work with a guy and ended up with a really bad paint job. He also tried to get the engine running with stuck rings and ended up scoring the cylinder walls. When I bought the car, he had the head off trying to figure out why he didn't have compression on two cylinders.
Engines are the easy stuff, though it can be spendy.

I look forward to your progress.

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stripped the body down to just the shell, front suspension and rear axle. Sent it to a local guy for media blasting and etching primer.

Attachments

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since the cylinders were damaged, I decided to bore it out to a 2.0 liter and rework the head for 2.0 liter valves. The engine already had a combination cam and double valve springs. The car came with dual weber DCOE 40s and a Sprint manifold. I installed the Sprint on my other GT and will be running an OGTS ceramic coated header on this car.

Attachments

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Started the front suspension rebuild today. Managed to get everything tore down except to remove the rubber bushings. Only had trouble with one bolt. I had to use heat and an impact wrench to free up the driver's side upper control arm bolt.

Attachments

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Front suspension restoration is basically complete. Waiting on Koni to find me some replacement shock bushings but everything else is done. Rear axle is next.

Attachments

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Eh beautiful job. Will you be putting in the intermediete spring in or stock . I'm assuming the sway bar too. Looks like the big brake upgrade. Dam I wish I had your skills.
It has the intermediate spring. These are not big brakes, but rather OGTS's replacement for the originals. Not planning to install a sway bar. The shocks are Konis that came with the car. Fronts have a September 1973 date stamp and the rears have a June 1973 date.

The job was actually pretty easy because the car is basically rust free. I did another 1970 10 years ago and it was a bear.

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I remember reading that the book alignment specifications are not exactly what you want.You probably know this but thought I'd mention it.
There's only two possible adjustments for the camber. Caster adjustment is also quite limited. I set my other 70 GT as close to factory specs as possible and was satisfied with both the handling and tire wear. Toe was set for a 1/8" total toe in. We were never able to get the Caster to spec, but it tracks well and handles great.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts