Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
You can shuffle caster shims around (and replace the OEM shims with thinner shims for more range of adjustability).

Camber is limited in stock form, but it's not much of a stretch to make it extremely adjustable.

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I've been working on cleaning up my 1970 rear axle so that I can paint it this coming weekend. I found a peculiar defect in the casting. My first thought was that it had a piece broke out of the differential. Now I actually think it's just a casting mark. There doesn't appear to be a crack, there's no evidence of grinding or welding on the casting that would lead me to believe that it's an old repair.
Anyone want to give an opinion?

Attachments

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have my rear axle ready to paint, but I've found a couple of surprises. First I've been surprised at the weld quality where the spring supports meet the axle tube. They're fairly rough with a lot of weld spatter. I wonder is that is common. Second I found an interesting number stamped into both spring supports. Is there any significance to the number 1,5L

Attachments

·
Über Genius
9,725 Posts
I have my rear axle ready to paint, but I've found a couple of surprises. First I've been surprised at the weld quality where the spring supports meet the axle tube. They're fairly rough with a lot of weld spatter. I wonder is that is common. Second I found an interesting number stamped into both spring supports. Is there any significance to the number 1,5L
You might want to pop off the cover and count some teeth.

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
It's a 1970 GT. 40,000 original miles. Here is a photo of the ring gear marking. I read 9:31. I believe that this is correct for a 3.44 GT. Can anyone confirm?
31/9 = 3.4444444444........

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Both front floor boards had localized corrosion damage

Attachments

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
One of the surprises I found was some corrosion on the driver's side "A" pillar. I think this was caused by a severely deteriorated windshield seal.

The Original owner of the car hacked the heater box up to make room for dual side draft carbs. That area has been cleaned up and made more presentable.

Attachments

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've spent the past couple of months doing body work. Hope to be ready for paint in a few weeks.

I decided to go ahead and buy the wheels and tires. My plan is to run them for a few weeks on my other GT, to make sure that I like the combination, and then put them on the shelf until the restoration is complete.

I bought 15 X7 Team Dynamics wheels from Opel GT Source and Nitto Neo Gen 205 50 15 tires from Discount Tire Direct.

It's amazing how much this combination improved the handling of my GT.

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,261 Posts
Lookin' good!

Pardon me for being late to the dance, is this red car Old Yeller?

What happened to Yeller?

Who's this new dog on the block all colored red?

Shouldn't this car be called Redder?

I demand a thread name change!

:lmao:

·
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Lookin' good!

Pardon me for being late to the dance, is this red car Old Yeller?

What happened to Yeller?

Who's this new dog on the block all colored red?

Shouldn't this car be called Redder?

I demand a thread name change!

:lmao:
Thought it was obvious but I guess it wasn't. Old Yeller is undergoing a full restoration. The wheels are installed on my other GT (Red/Orange), so that I can make sure I am happy with the wheel / tire combination. They will be going on the shelf in a couple of weeks and staying there until Old Yeller is ready for wheels.

Hope that makes sense.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts