Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMC Picnic - Van nuys, CA - August 14th

Hey guys, anyone got the info on the hotel and such for the OMCpicnic this year. I am going to try to make it. BUt need Hotel info. I got it at home, but not here.

Charles

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
OMC Opel Picnic, Van Nuys, CA

Hotel Details are in the events calendar & here:
Comfort Inn Woodland Hills
20157 Ventura Boulevard
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
(818) 347-8080

Just left my reservation minutes ago today.

Get your reservations in now to the Hotel & to the OMC Treasurer for the
after Show diner very soon, so that no one is left out.

The dead line for the Diner is July 29th. just 5 days away. :eek:

Dennis OMC Librarian

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Driving or flying . . .

GoinManta said:
Hey guys, anyone got the info on the hotel and such for the OMCpicnic this year. I am going to try to make it. BUt need Hotel info. I got it at home, but not here.

Charles
Hmmmmm . . . you driving (which car?) or flying?

What's the latest on your Bitter situation? :confused:

·
Administrator
10,231 Posts
2004 OMC Picnic

Just a reminder to everyone regarding the OMC Picnic this year in Van Nuys, CA.

The deadline for the Diner Registration is in just 5 days,... ie. July 29th.

The reservation for the diner {if you plan to attend} is mandatory. The restraunt needs the count 2 weeks in advance. This is there requirement!!!! Not Ours........ So please, if you plan to attend the diner, let Dick Council OMC Treasurer know now, with your $19.00 payment.

All registrations are to be made to the OMC Treasurer, by the 29th.
OMC Treasurer
3824 Franklin Street
La Crescenta, CA 91214

·
Administrator
10,231 Posts
Saturday, August 14.
Woodley Park,
Van nuys, CA.

Club Hotel:
Comfort Inn Woodland Hills
20157 Ventura Blvd
Woodland Hills, CA
818-347-8080
Special Club rate: $69.00/night

Banquet Saturday night from 7:00 to 9:30 at the Stargazer Restaurant. Cost is $19.00 per person.

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bitter hasn't sold, and due to that reason I won't make the OMC picnic ;(

Room available now at the hotel.. Just canceled reservation.

Charles

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I got a few questions, for someone in the know about the OMC picnic. I have the day planned to go. Never been to Van Nuys, at least to that park, so do I need to bring my pop-up shade 10' X 10", some chairs, food/drinks, anything else? I could sure use some very explicit guidance here. We've got a stop planned en route to see one of our puppies and get some paperwork straightend out. But after that it's pedal to the metal to Van Nuys and meeting the SoCal Opel folks and others that make it this way. Understand Gil from OGTS is putting this one on, so it will be a double pleasure for me to meet he who has a lot of my hard earned cash. :D :D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I just uploaded a bunch of pics of the OMC 2004 Picnic, they are pending approval before they can be seen by the membership. The pics are of Gill Wesson handing out the "Peoples Choice" Award to the various category winners, Roger Wilson, OMC President, Handing out the "Judges Choice" awards, again in the various categories. Also are pics of the 30-40 cars that were in attendance, including a beautiful Gold GT with the original owner and the original paint, I was told. The winner of the Peoples Choice and the Judges, was Dave Miller's "One of a Kind" Manta with a 300 hp Hemi Ram in-line-six. This car has to be seen to be believed. Also are some neat paint jobs I happened across, along with an Aero GT type, with some interesting touches done on the lights. I didn't get to see or take pics of all the cars and their owners like I wanted, I got caught in traffic and didn't arrive at the picnic until well after lunch was served, by about 2-3 hours. We have decided that next year, we will leave inSANe DIEGO a lot earlier.

·
433 Posts
namba209 said:
I just uploaded a bunch of pics of the OMC 2004 Picnic, they are pending approval before they can be seen by the membership. The pics are of Gill Wesson handing out the "Peoples Choice" Award to the various category winners, Roger Smith, Handing out the "Judges Choice" awards, again in the various categories. Also are pics of the 30-40 cars that were in attendance, including a beautiful Gold GT with the original owner and the original paint, I was told. The winner of the Peoples Choice and the Judges, was Dave Miller's "One of a Kind" Manta with a 300 hp Hemi Ram in-line-six. This car has to be seen to be believed. Also are some neat paint jobs I happened across, along with an Aero GT type, with some interesting touches done on the lights. I didn't get to see or take pics of all the cars and their owners like I wanted, I got caught in traffic and didn't arrive at the picnic until well after lunch was served, by about 2-3 hours. We have decided that next year, we will leave inSANe DIEGO a lot earlier.
How did I miss you? I also arrived late. I think it was about 4PM. I "flew" back from doing a bit of the Monterey weekend. Also, work called me to fix some problems that arose. And luckily, work is only a couple of blocks away from the picnic. I would have liked to have thanked you in person for all the helpful advice you've given me. I hope you had a great time.

Manny

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Manny, I was taking pics of the folks who got the awards, so didn't get to roam around like I wanted to, especially after getting there so late. I uploaded the pics of your car along with the rest I took last nite and Gary was kind enough to put them in the correct events folder of the Opel Motorsports Club, under 2004. If you want, I can e-mail you the full size and resolution of the pics I took. It was a real good turnout, one row of Stock Cars, Intermediate I, Interdediate II, and Modified. I talked to Dave Miller just before we left and told him it was really unfair, that I would have to compete against him next year with my GT, and you would also be competition. Darn, against you two, I don't have a chance. :D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Hey, Gary, (nudge, nudge), can I, uhh, whisper in your ear, something about increasing my PayPal donations to the site? :D

Seriously, next year is really supposed to be a whizbang affair. And if it is going to be held at the same place as this year, I'll be on the road at zer0:dark thirty, just to be sure I'm there in time. There were plenty of picnic benches, lotsa shade trees and a large open area for more cars than we had there, along with a lot of parking area outside the OMC festivities, but not too far away to walk from, maybe a 100 yards or so.

Margaret has graciously allowed that I will be able to spend almost all my time on the GT, she wants it out of the driveway and on the road. (I think so she can drive it at least one time). Thanks to OGTS and e-bay, and others, I believe I have almost all the parts I need to start putting it all back together, once I get the front end rebuilt.

Make your plans now folks, It's gonna be a blast.

·
792 Posts
OMC Picnic

Hey Ron
I did not see any of my 75 Sportwagon that got 1st in Intermediate 1. I shot pics of everyone else's car mine. I am very pleaseantly surprized.
BTW
I just got home going across the Arizona desert (110) with my Opel (with A/c)
No problems ... what can i say!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Paul,
Glad to see you made it home in air conditioned comfort. My trip back to Vegas also went well, but Opel-less. Was good to see you again.

Mike

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Gary said:
Psst Ron... I'm going to volunteer as a judge.... ;) ;)
Hmm... more incentive to get the Blue not only road worthy but restored.

Great thing about the Blue Max is most the work is interior (Found a dead up match to the corduroy today) and a bit of body work.

Worst case I drive with you all in a Convertible BMW... I can think of worse.

Charles

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Paul, as I said in my earlier posts, I was unable to do what I wanted to do, and there was just not enough time. My plan was to take at least 3-4 pics of the cars with their drivers/owners. But after the awards, there was no time, and because of the doggone 3/4/5/6 lane parking lots on the I-5/US-101/I-405, I didn't make it to the grounds till 2-3 p.m. Darn it. I got off the phone with Gil earlier today and he said "at least you got to meet Joe Montagna". I know who he is, I've been an admirer of his achievements on the big and little screen, but I was totally out to lunch when Gil did the intro to Margaret and I and didn't recognize the name or the man. When he told me about it today, I felt like a real idiot and a Tom Thumb. Maybe I can atone myself next year. It wasn't that I didn't want to take the pics, it's just that I got there too darn late. Next year it will be different and I'll have the camera with two fully charged batteries and maybe two 64M memory sticks. Ohhhhhh, the shame of it all. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
I just wondered if someone who attended the 2004 OMC Picnic would be able to write up a brief story for us. I REALLY missed it this year. Tacoma was great, but California... Well, there's something special about the OMC Picnic. Ron, I was looking at your photos, and they are great! Any chance of adding a few comments, especially a few names to put to the faces at the awards? And maybe a bit of commentary as to what the awards were for? And perhaps the owners names of the cars? Whatever you remember. Or, if anyone else knows names or details, please add it in the comments section. Thanks very much!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts