Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nov/Dec issue is at the printer now and you should be receiving your copy soon. I hope you like the overall look and the articles and I especially hope that you see things in it that you will want to be involved in in the way of contributing articles and photos. The Blitz is, after all, a newsletter and not a magazine, and I can only create so much news all by myself. ;)

The Jan/Feb issue is in the works and at this point it looks like it will include a couple of articles on aero, also on the Weber DCOE, in-car video and a proposal for an International Opel video project, and hopefully even some actual motorsports. It won't be quite as ambitious as my first issue but I am working to make it a good one.

The Blitz would REALLY like to hear from all Opelers, OMC members or not. What is happening Opel-wise in your region and your life? Even if your story is not about some outstanding event, it could still be an interesting and fun Opel lifestyle story about, say, anything from parking the cars for the winter, staying out of hurricane Sandy's way, or just shows people have attended with or without their Opels. Or it could tap the considerable technical expertise that exists in our community.

I've tried to reformat the Blitz in such a way that readers will see nice opportunities to tell their stories. For example:

Chapter Opel -- news and notes from the many OMC chapters, many of which are also OpelGT.com groups.

International Opel -- for our non-OMC friends from all around the world, telling us about Opeling in Norway, in Iceland, in South Africa...

Bench Racing -- This is for anyone who has an Opel lifestyle story to tell. It might or might not be true, or even believable. It might be about a dream project, or an actual project, or a race, or a show, or other musings on the Opel lifestyle, say "Married, with Opels" . Think about it. If you have an Opel you have know you a story.

Calendar -- Are you racing your Opel this year? If so, when and where? Is your car going to be part of a big event, one when should all consider attending? Let's put it on the calendar.

Centerfold -- Is your Opel centerfold-worthy? (ala. Playboy, and yes I did have to research this. ;) ) Is it the car ever boy and girl wants? Sleek, shiny, without a blemish, perfection, and oh so touchable, but don't you dare! And do you have a centerfold-worthy photo of your beauty? Send it in, along with the back story, preferably something that is as much about the people as it is the car, and don't forget to list your cars "Turn-ons" and "Turn-offs".

Photo Opel -- for your gorgeous photos of Opels and Opel-related scenes. Got one? Show it! Winter months have great light! Get that shot and send it in.

Technical Articles -- OpelGT.com is the first place I go to when looking for technical advice, how-to's, etc. Usually I find stuff I need, but then again often the threads end without ever reaching their conclusion, or they wander too far off topic. But whatever project that was that I was reading about it probably got done and the full story deserves to be told in a single, coherent write-up. There is a lot of technical talent and experience here and there have been builds and rebuilds and no doubt a few disasters, and people would like to be able to read about all of them.

That's all for now. Enjoy your "Opels at Bonneville" issue, and send in your stories.

Your Blitz Editor,
Mike Meier

P.S. If you or anyone you know who was racing Mantas in SCCA's showroom stock back when they got banned, or if the person was active in the SCCA when this happened and remembers this, please have them contact me. Yes, it's for a future article.

P.P.S. I hope this post isn't seen as inappropriate, as if it were in competition with OpelGT.com. I see them as complements that can reinforce each other, and which are operating in different media and with different editorial standards. Also, OMC is not a regional group or club and I noticed that the OMC forum has been locked. Posts in "groups" do not got out to other than member of that group and I think of OMC, while technically a club, as a club that wants to serve and involve the whole Opel community.

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
I hope this post isn't seen as inappropriate, as if it were in competition with OpelGT.com. I see them as complements that can reinforce each other, and which are operating in different media and with different editorial standards. Also, OMC is not a regional group or club and I noticed that the OMC forum has been locked. Posts in "groups" do not got out to other than member of that group and I think of OMC, while technically a club, as a club that wants to serve and involve the whole Opel community.
Not at all, at least IMHO. The old "area" and Club Forums were locked out a while ago although I for one did not concur with the decision. The OMC Forum still exists, and it even let me move this thread there, but then wouldn't let me post. So I moved it back, at least for now.

Gary, any chance of re-opening the OMC Forum?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still the new guy so I'd have no way of knowing if there was a problem. One could say that to some extend they are in competition, and also that the forum, Facebook, all the miracles of the Internet, obsolete the newsletter. OMC itself seems all but dead, but we will see. And even if it is, I think there is a place for a Blitz-like publication.

Anyway, I hope this post generates some interest in contributing to both.

Mike

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
I did my part I bought myself a subscription for xmas. Now that youre a spokesperson, and in charge of the complaint department Im sure a few more will sign up.

The website that says 2010 isnt helping you thats for sure. If they cant update just the homepage to at least say "were still printing them, send us some money" you might as well hang up your editor hat. I would hate to see all your hard work and time to be wasted.

JM2CW

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The website that says 2010 isnt helping you thats for sure. If they cant update just the homepage to at least say "were still printing them, send us some money" you might as well hang up your editor hat. I would hate to see all your hard work and time to be wasted.

JM2CW
I've been calling our web guy throughout the holidays to try to clear up the non-functioning [email protected] email problem, and others. I'm still working on that.

In the mean time, we have a Facebook page -- https://www.facebook.com/OpelMotorsportClub

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Not at all, at least IMHO. The old "area" and Club Forums were locked out a while ago although I for one did not concur with the decision. The OMC Forum still exists, and it even let me move this thread there, but then wouldn't let me post. So I moved it back, at least for now.

Gary, any chance of re-opening the OMC Forum?
The "Club Forums" were closed when the "Groups" section was added. The Groups section is like a separate web site for regional clubs with a forum, albums, calendar, etc and it made the individual club forums obsolete. Later on, I added the "Clubs" section which integrated with the Groups while adding several other features.

OpelJim added OMC to the Groups in 2009 and he is listed as the coordinator. It has not been active.

OMC has not been added to the Clubs section.

I have offered OMC use of this site's resources several times over the years including creating a "Members Only" forum and an officers chat room for meetings.

At this point I would say if OpelJim is no longer interested in managing the OMC Group, let's add another manager and get it active. Mike - You can add OMC to the Clubs section here.

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
I think both OpelGT.com and OMC are good for each other and together it would be a good thing for everybody. I, for one, enjoy the "hard copy" of the Blitz. I keep all of them and refer to them from time to time.

With all that being said, it seems to me that OMC needs to be "overhauled". Wonder if there is a way to incorporate the OMC and OpelGT.com? What I mean is to combine the sites into one web site. I'm not sure if OMC would want to do that, though. I'm not even sure something like that is possible. (I'm just thinking outside the box) In any case, keeping a "hard copy" makes since to me if the people subscribe to it. I will start to contribute articles and Carolina Opel Club News when possible!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not that far out of the box. The possibility of a merger with a large German club has also been discussed recently.

Future issues of the Blitz will include shout-outs and maybe even "ads" for OpelGT.com. Anyone with a mission and audience even remotely like OMC's should be noticed and acknowledged.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've been calling our web guy throughout the holidays to try to clear up the non-functioning [email protected] email problem, and others. I'm still working on that.

In the mean time, we have a Facebook page -- https://www.facebook.com/OpelMotorsportClub

Is it still $45? Can we merely paypal to that e-mail address..... sorry for stupid question, I expect someone to tell me to read some post somewhere with instructions.

Reactions: wrench459 (R.I.P.)

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
I sent 47 to the email address on website joinomc at opelclub.com. paypal took the money out of my account.

Ill send a follow up to Dick to make sure my address is correct to... I hope the money went to the right place

·
Opeler
3,019 Posts
Blitz 11 & 12, 2012

Just submitted my $21.00 for BLITZ 1-year Online Issues renewal via PayPal.
I used JoimOMC(at)opelclub.com, and PayPal processed the transaction.
If the email address does not work, let me know, and I will cancel the PayPal transaction.

Please send me the November/ December 2012 Blitz to my email.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts