Opel GT Forum banner

441 - 460 of 468 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,399 Posts
The emails have gone out.

I'll press "Go" on the print order in the morning, after the treasurer has had a chance to look it over.

Mike

P.S. Membership bumped up a bit this quarter, from, 146 to 153.
Add at least once since then, as I renewed my expired membership.. ;)

BTW never got an email..

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
The October-December issue is almost ready. Seeing as it is the last issue of 2019 the "events" page will list 2020 events. The draft is attached.

If you race an Opel or are involved in any other Opel event, I can list it for you. If I skipped an iconic race or show, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

I'll be contacting Olaf to get the dates for major Opel events in Europe.

Mike

Attachments

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,399 Posts
Going to have an update with dates for the 50th Manta event for the Nationals in California ?

·
Can Opeler
3,175 Posts
I need to write my column. I wasn’t sure when this issue was coming out. I can get something written today if there’s still time.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
I need to write my column. I wasn’t sure when this issue was coming out. I can get something written today if there’s still time.
Plenty of time. I'll need everything before Christmas. If I get it all before then I can sent the issue out a little earlier.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
I'll be closing out 2019 for the Blitz soon. That makes just over 7 years I have been doing this. I estimate over 1000 pages and a half million words. (I have this info in my notes. I should check.) It's been fun, I've learned a lot, and seeing as the subscription rate has remained steady I guess I haven't run too many people off.

Normally for an issue I am struggling to reach my page count target/limit, which is 40. It helps when others contribute stories and photos, and it makes me think I'm doing something right seeing this type of engagement. It is extra work at times, trying to get those stories done, edited, handle the photos, reviewed by the author, but that is also a pleasure.

For this issue I had so much content that I am having to roll it over into 2020. That rarely happens. Even now, with several stories moved to 2020, I am at 42 pages (40-page budget), and the big story is only half done, and another is expected to come in today, and soon after Kyler's column.

There is a lot going on in our small corner of the classic cars world, and I wish I could cover all of it in The Blitz. More of our story deserves to be told.

Mike

Attachments

·
Can Opeler
3,175 Posts
I took a break from studying for finals to write up a quick article! It should be in your email now.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
We danged if this issue hasn't expanded to 51 pages, even with the articles I moved to 2020, and I still have 4-8 pages coming in.

Thanks all, for the support.

I need to keep to my 40-page budget else I'll spend down the treasury. In the past I've put out 55 and 60 page issues, figuring if I had it, print it, that you guys would appreciate more content.

Mike

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #454 (Edited)
The final issue for 2019 should be out within a day or so. It is done except for an update from Charles and additional information about the 50-Manta event, and a careful final read-through.

Edit - the image will not display. See the thumbnail.
Edit - the image url is changed by this site from http to https.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
The final issue for 2019 should be out within a day or so. It is done except for an update from Charles and additional information about the 50-Manta event, and a careful final read-through.

Edit - the image will not display. See the thumbnail.
Edit - the image url is changed by this site from http to https.
Looks Good Mike. how can I get a copy if I'm a non member? Or do I need to Join? Thanks, Jarrell

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
Looks Good Mike. how can I get a copy if I'm a non member? Or do I need to Join? Thanks, Jarrell
Thanks.

Join, or submit an article and I'll send you a courtesy copy of the issue it appears in.

This issue just came out. Check your inboxes, everyone. The print version will be along in about a week,

Link: Opel Motorsport Club (Satellite Site)

If this link does not work try it again using the http (not https) prefix.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,168 Posts
The story about Paul Campbell though....😢

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Roy, you are part of my devious plan to get other people to copy-edit The Blitz for me. ;)

Seriously, though, I know I need a copy editor. People say you can never copy-edit what you write, and that seems to be true. That's one reason I run each article by their authors before I wrap up an issue.

I must read through each issue 4-5 times, usually article-by article as I finish each one up, then a few days later a couple more times looking at the screen, and finally at least two times cover-to-cover on a printed version. I still can't catch all of the errors. I guess I just get numb. After all, each issue is between 13,000 and 17,000 words, so four reads makes that a novel.

Bruce contacted me yesterday saying he wished he had had one more chance to review his letter. I just looked it over and I didn't see problems. Sure, it could be improved, but so far I don't see errors, but then again it is 3 AM, difficulty sleeping again.

Often people write the way the talk or think, then once they see it on the page think it is terrible, feeling written English is expected to be more formal and precise, more crafted, than spoken English. I see that all the time and I resist editing out these things that give the story character. Roger Wilson's stories, for example. I recorded him telling the "Duel" story and tried to maintain the feel of how he spoke when I transcribed it. And Olaf's story in this issue. I fixed it up a bit but still left a few things in it that hinted that the author was not a native English speaker. Anyway, I don't want to make everything read like the scientific journal articles I used to write. I prefer a t-shirt and jeans to a suit and tie feel for a story.

I wait a couple of days after sending out the PDF version so I can hear back from people before I order the prints. That's my devious plan. I ordered them on Monday but I don't think they have printed yet. I might be able to slip the corrected version of Bruce's letter in before it does print, hoping holiday delays work to our advantage. I can always update the PDF versions. Roy's embarrassing find, for example. A big typo on the front cover. I fixed it before it went to print. Download a fresh copy and that typo will be gone.

I've got permission to use a Hemmings article in the next issue. Yesterday I installed it in that issue and read it carefully, finding at least a dozen errors. Even the pros... apparently. Not that that's an excuse.

Mike

441 - 460 of 468 Posts