Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
what does omc offer?

Gary:

Do we at at opelgt.com need to participate at OMC?

Seems like another US website would just dilute our resources.

I guess omc is more club related and fills that need.

I would think we would be stronger if we were united..

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Gary,

I have to question why the classifieds section is for OMC members only. I'm sure they would like to have their ads be seen by the widest audience possible, including non-members and referral surfers.

Perhaps posting an ad should require membership, but I don't think viewing should.

Walter

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Having the classifieds open to members only makes sense to me; It allows members to have first dibs on other member's cars and parts. I know that if I had to sell my GTs (perish the thought), I would definately give preference to a buyer that I've heard of, or met.

As an aside, I'm not completely clear on the PayPal route of joining. Donating here is a breeze, but I would like more clear instructions for joining that way. Another thing, is that if you join online, do I assume correctly that the "Blitz" newsletters are online, and not snail mail?

Lastly, has anyone ever offered to convert old issues of the "Blitz" into PDF documents?

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Another idea would be to have the classifieds listings accessible to all, but only have the ad contact information available to OMC members. That way, non-members could see what they're missing and then join up to respond to an ad!

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: what does omc offer?

bucky said:
1. Do we at at opelgt.com need to participate at OMC?
2. Seems like another US website would just dilute our resources.
3. I guess omc is more club related and fills that need.
4. I would think we would be stronger if we were united..
1. Quick answer, no we do not.

2. It's just another resource for Opelers. The goal is to give OMC members and the OMC chapters additional on-line member benefits.

3. Yes. The OMC is an 23 year old Opel club based out of the LA area of California. In the days before the 'net, they were the main contact for Opel information in the states. Many of the existing officers have been active for as long as I can remember. They have 11 chapters in the U.S. and one in the Netherlands. The monthly Blitz Newsletter is mailed to Opelers all over the world so even those who are not Internet connected can stay in touch.

4. We are united. This site started out as the New England Opel Club, an OMC chapter. The OMC web site was dormant for several years with just a simple messageboard and ad board changing. I volunteered to take over as Webmaster when they needed someone to help out.

About 7 months ago, we moved the site to a new host and the old programs would not work with the new hosts updated software. So once again the site was dead in the water. After 3 or 4 attempts, I finally found a program that fits their needs and after ~6 hours yesterday and 10 or so today, it went live.

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PROPEL said:
Gary, I have to question why the classifieds section is for OMC members only. I'm sure they would like to have their ads be seen by the widest audience possible, including non-members and referral surfers. Perhaps posting an ad should require membership, but I don't think viewing should.
Walter
The program does not offer that flexibility. Any group that can view the ads, can add one.

PROPEL said:
Another idea would be to have the classifieds listings accessible to all, but only have the ad contact information available to OMC members. That way, non-members could see what they're missing and then join up to respond to an ad!
A teaser for "The Last 5" ads will show up on the home page.

Taavetti said:
...As an aside, I'm not completely clear on the PayPal route of joining. Donating here is a breeze, but I would like more clear instructions for joining that way. Another thing, is that if you join online, do I assume correctly that the "Blitz" newsletters are online, and not snail mail?
The Paypal link will be improved. My understanding is that you will get the Blitz in color in PDF format. This will be ironed out shortly.

Lastly, has anyone ever offered to convert old issues of the "Blitz" into PDF documents?
That has been discussed. There is a wealth of info in the back issues.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
PAYPAL WAS A BREEZE @ OMC

I DID PAYPAL $21 TO OMC LAST NIGHT.I AM A MEMBER THIS AM.

TO JOIN JUST EMAIL $21 TO THE EDITOR AND YOU ARE DONE....I GUESS IT COULD STREAMLINED WITH JUST A "BUTTON'' TO PAY..
BUT i HAD NO PROBLEMS

GLAD I JOINED

WOW! I AM PRINTING MY DEC NEWSLETTER AND IT IS GREAT!

:D

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
heritage

It's getting so hard for some people to remember the pre-internet days, back when the only place to find parts was Hemmings or the Blitz. Back then factory service manuals were very hard for the average Opeler to come by and, with the lack of support we're all used to from the parts stores, the OMC was not just the BEST resource for new Opelers, it was the only resource.

I very clearly remember the day I first saw a secondhand copy of the Blitz and the way it felt to know I was no longer alone in my Opel addiction. A lot of the names I knew only through the Blitz achieved an elevated stature for me, all people I admired and hoped to someday meet. People like Bob L., Gene, Otto, Wayne Torman, John Seaman, Charles Goin, and such all represented for me the best of what Opeling was all about: Freely giving back to others the lessons you learn so they will be better prepared. I still haven't met all those guys, but I'm working on it.

That's a great heritage you can only get with both time and great people. I'd recommend joining the OMC to everyone, if only to be part of something with that kind of history.

That's probably more than $.02 worth, but oh well.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Re: what does omc offer?

bucky said:
Gary:

Do we at at opelgt.com need to participate at OMC?

Seems like another US website would just dilute our resources.

I guess omc is more club related and fills that need.

I would think we would be stronger if we were united..
I agree with you Gary-if information is disseminated over two or more sites, it just makes it that much harder to locate. Also- I bought my 71 GT off of the old OMC classified section and was not a member. I got a very good deal with a person in California and didn't have to go through the mystery and bidding process of a Ebay purchase. Much more enjoyable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts