Opel GT Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Went back and found some photos from the rear. In talking to the owner, he for sure was having fun trying to find new ways to use what he had cut off the GT. He cut off the front end and added the necessary framing to handle the V8. Looking at it in person it was interesting to see how he had repurposed some of what he removed from the GT. At the time it was still a work in progress.
The only convertible I have seen, (no top included), was produced by Keith Ludlum on his spyder. He sold it to Dallas Mize. Dallas showed the car for a couple of years and it was sold to a third party, who I think has it back at Keith's shop for an upgrade. That car was cherry. Dallas brought it to Charlotte one year and won "Best overall" in the Autofair that time. That particular car was "Done right" and really was put together properly for a convertible with struts running from front to rear to hold the Chassis together, as the Gt is a unibody. A really nicely put together, tasteful car. Just my opinion, Jarrell

·
Vendor
2,449 Posts
The only convertible I have seen, (no top included), was produced by Keith Ludlum on his spyder. He sold it to Dallas Mize. Dallas showed the car for a couple of years and it was sold to a third party, who I think has it back at Keith's shop for an upgrade. That car was cherry. Dallas brought it to Charlotte one year and won "Best overall" in the Autofair that time. That particular car was "Done right" and really was put together properly for a convertible with struts running from front to rear to hold the Chassis together, as the Gt is a unibody. A really nicely put together, tasteful car. Just my opinion, Jarrell
I agree-a really interesting and beautiful car. I recall seeing the spider at Springfield in 2007. I often wondered where it ended up after Dallas passed away.

Attachments

·
Spaceman
329 Posts
But Anders, surely you can "see" my interest! The factory made a Targa but no one ever made a "removable Targa"! It would be a one of a kind (and as you may have noticed, I like one of a kind)! :yup: ...

However, it is a one of a kind as is, just NOT my kind! ... :no: ... But I do appreciate your "kind" warning!

Doug

PS - I would have thought BxxT-Kicking would have been more appropriate as it is the "rear" of the car! ... :lmao:
Doug,

Yes I see your interest, but in this case it's "how not to do!". Luckily I know that you're not that crazy a bugger :yup: (otherwise the only "one of a kind" you'll get is a thorough whipping :lmao:)

I myself, have a strange weakness for the looks of vintage bucket seats with these metal grommets / vents, and I have to control myself for not going down that road with my GT, but if I ever get a (classic) Singer Porsche 911.... hheeeemmmm :yup:

Attachments

·
1,640 Posts
The Opel GT the Opelspyder built like the GT Rat Rod was a roadster with no top. I think Dallas had the cover for the rear storage area formed after he bought it from Keith. I think it is still topless. Sounds a bit racy, eh.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Oh man, imagine how cool it would be to have those rocket blaster things on the back of the GT with the Caddie wings!

Gee, I'm not going to be doing much this Winter..........hmmmmm.......

:lmao:
Gordo, with all the military people on the board, I'm sure we can figure out how to attach a J.A.T.O unit like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcP3KP1UnXQ to the car. We just don't want you to end up like this famous story, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO_Rocket_Car, (about 1/4 of the way down)
This is you Man.:lmao::yup: I can just see you lighting it off. Wheeee....... Jarrell

·
Registered
937 Posts
Gordo, with all the military people on the board, I'm sure we can figure out how to attach a J.A.T.O unit like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcP3KP1UnXQ to the car. We just don't want you to end up like this famous story, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO_Rocket_Car, (about 1/4 of the way down)
This is you Man.:lmao::yup: I can just see you lighting it off. Wheeee....... Jarrell
good grief that's a heck of a story
Gordo walk away from the J.A.T.O.
It's not for sale
a figment of your imagination
when I snap my fingers you will suddenly awaken and remember nothing :yup:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Jarrell, I too, was posted near Frankfurt during those troubling times. Was in a HAWK unit at Hanau and we all thought that the balloon was going up at that time. Every field soldier in Germany suddenly got new M-14 rifles during that time, and they were hauling trainloads of new M-60 tanks into our base from the states every week. However, it all quieted down into a stalemate over a period of months. Interesting times!
Small world. I was also stationed in Germany, at a Nike-Hercules site near Germersheim, Rhineland-Pfalz, 1975-76. A-2/56 ADA. There were also Hawk batteries in our battalion.

·
Opeler
1,374 Posts
Small world. I was also stationed in Germany, at a Nike-Hercules site near Germersheim, Rhineland-Pfalz, 1975-76. A-2/56 ADA. There were also Hawk batteries in our battalion.
Yeah, I was on a Herc site for a year too, just north of Dallas. Got sent to Bliss for HAWK training when that system was brand new, then went to Germany from there.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts