Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Opel-ing since '74
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello T.O.O. folks:
Last Saturday was a blast, but if we sit back now we'll be staring "Old Man Winter" squarely in the face :eek: . How about one more gathering before the lousy weather starts ? Something in maybe three weeks - weekend of Saturday, Nov. 12 & Sunday, Nov. 13 ?
What do you say ? ;)
Rick

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Let's go Flyers!!

I'm going to a Flyers game on the 12th so I won't be very coherent on the 13th.:p
Jeff

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
It's a possibility, but I will have to come solo again. Shawn has a birthday party to go to on that weekend:rolleyes:

· Opel-ing since '74
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.................. or how about we gather on Sunday, November 6, on the runways of the now defunct Johnsville Naval Air Development Base, where the Philly Region SCCA will be holding a non-points autocross event ?

Rick

· Super Moderator
15,247 Posts
opelgtguy said:
.................. or how about we gather on Sunday, November 6, on the runways of the now defunct Johnsville Naval Air Development Base, where the Philly Region SCCA will be holding a non-points autocross event ?

Rick
Oh sure...now that there's no Ascona down there to stomp on those GT's you decide to attend an autocross....:rolleyes:

Duane, you now have to uphold the Opel 50-series honors!

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Interesting to say the least. How do you tailgate with a GT? We can BBQ on the exhaust manifold:D I have a small Weber portable grill and a 2 burner coleman stove I could bring if needed.

Is there a registration fee or a website we can go to?

· Opel-ing since '74
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RallyBob said:
Oh sure...now that there's no Ascona down there to stomp on those GT's you decide to attend an autocross....:rolleyes:

Duane, you now have to uphold the Opel 50-series honors!
Hi Bob:
Actually, I'm wondering how much work would be involved with getting my Manta back on the road and sound enough to try my hand at auto-x :cool:
It really would depend on how much free time Duane would have between now and then ;)
Rick

· Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
Sounds good to me. Who all is up for the challenge? I was actually planning on taking the 250 shifter kart to that autocross meet. I took my Manta last time they ran there. It was the longest and fastest autocross course I've ever seen. I figured it would be an awesome place to run the kart. The website for info is www.phillyscca.com and click on "SOLO" at the top. Scroll down to the last event listed (11/6 Warminster Park) and click on registration. Fees and schedule are listed there. Typically, when it is a non comp event, they allow unlimited runs so seat time is at a high level. This is an event that is well worth attending for anyone in the area that would like to see what their car, and themselves, can do.

Duane

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Duane;

Would I be laughed off the track with a bone stock GT with skinny tires and no sway bars or is this just a fun event?

Jeff

· Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
Non comp = FUN! Doesn't matter even if it were a points event, you're still just going for fun. There is a novice class if you prefer to be classed there instead. Just go and have a good time and learn about your car. There is absolutely NOTHING to hit at this event as it is held on a runway. Planes don't like light poles and such.

Duane

· Administrator
10,425 Posts
jlthunder said:
Duane;

Would I be laughed off the track with a bone stock GT with skinny tires and no sway bars or is this just a fun event?

Jeff
Go for it Jeff! The NEOC did this 2 years ago and I had a blast! Halfway through my first run I was thinking "WTF are you doing, this is your show car!" "Wonder if those cones will damage the paint?" Any way after getting "lost" on the course several times (there were flags everywhere), as I crossed the finish line, I heard the PA announcer say "112 seconds? We'd better check that car!" (most were in the low 80's) My cheeks hurt for days afterwoods from smiling so much. Too bad Bob didn't get a pic of my hole shot. :D

The post is Here

Next time it will be in the wagon!

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
I'm in

I will try to register for the afternoon session. I hope I don't get a DNF(Did not finish):D
Jeff

· Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
Jeff,
You have to run with your class so you may end up in the morning session. I'm not a GT guy so I'm not sure what class you'll be in. They will tell you the morning of the event.

Duane

· Opel-ing since '74
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't want to beat up on these guys too hard .....

MantAscona said:
Rick,
You will most likely be classed in D stock.

Duane
The only cars registered in D Stock so far are a 2002 BMW 330Ci & a
2002 Subaru WRX ............. I don't want to scar these guys for life,
you know :D
Rick

· crazy opeler
558 Posts
jlthunder said:
Interesting to say the least. How do you tailgate with a GT? We can BBQ on the exhaust manifold:D I have a small Weber portable grill and a 2 burner coleman stove I could bring if needed.

Is there a registration fee or a website we can go to?

My dad told me a story of how right after he bought his GT in 1970 that he and a friend took a trip to Florida. He said they would put hot dogs in tin foil and cook them on the exhaust manifold.

· Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
Rick,
Those cars won't have a chance now that you've got new sneakers for the Manta. Is Jeff still going? I haven't seen his name on the pre-registration list.

Duane

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.