Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG! You guys have to check this out. It's called a Onewheel made by Newheel. It's like a skateboard with a giant rubber wheel in the middle, a motor and batteries, and is self leveling, plus has tail lights and headlights! I think this thing is a game changer. An ad for it popped up today in front of me, I hadn't heard about them until now. I used to skateboard and even at 60 I still have that natural balance ability to do them. But it always kind sucked that you really couldn't effectively go offroad with them, even with the knobbly tires. I think they're even American made. They're expensive, but, oh man, I want one! There's lots of videos on YouTube about them:

·
1,582 Posts
Stop watching YouTube! Get back to work! 😐

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Vendor
2,586 Posts
A chromey wheel and a few blitzes and you should be good to go! :D
I've actually seen these around the town that I live in. Looks like fun-sort of a Segway for the skateboard set.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll guess that if they run out of power they're a useless piece of schitt that you'll have to pick up and carry home.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I need one of these.

Not sure why, but I do...

Just looked at prices: YIKES! $1K for the base, $1.7K for the XR.

Ummm.... No.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can carry solar panel on your back.
I presume this was in jest, but, just since I was curious...

The larger one has a 324 watt-hour pack, and a 750 watt (1hp) motor. It has a max range of 12-18 miles, and a max speed of 19mph.

Because its only method of balancing if you tip forward (like the Segway) is to accelerate the wheel and get it back under you, I presume there's a significant safety overage involved in the motor's power, at least 50%. You have to be able to be travelling max speed, tip forward, and still have extra power to recover. And, 19mph shouldn't take 750 watts (that should be good for 30mph). So I'm guessing more like 300 watts if it was a bicycle, but with the fat wheel there'll be more rolling resistance so I'd ballpark around 400 watts.

400 watts kind of makes sense considering it has a 12-18 mile range and max speed of 19mph. That means you should be able to travel at max speed for a little less than an hour. So, looking at the battery pack of 324 watt-hours, the motor will use a little more power than what would drain that in an hour. 400 watts on a 324 watt-hour pack seems about right to me to get slightly less than an hour of travel time.

Now, the good news is that solar energy is about 1000 watts per square meter (or yard), at noon, in full sun, at the equator. The bad news is that solar panels are only good for extracting 15-20% of that energy as electricity. Best case about 200 watts for a square meter.

So, if you wanted to solar power this thing at top speed, (at noon, clear sky, at the equator), you'd need 2 square meters. About 3'x6', held directly facing the sun or about the size of the rooftop of a GT.

I suppose you could limp home at 2/3 speed with just a single square meter. You could wear it on your head like a giant square sombrero! Very stylish. Doubles as a sun shade.

·
1,582 Posts
Yes leaded fuel on my backside......I may be late or early for work today!!!

·
Vendor
2,586 Posts
Yes leaded fuel on my backside......I may be late or early for work today!!!
I love that photo, and wonder how many times he got a splash of "ethyl" down his back when filling up.
Note also that only the right skate appears to have power. Could lead to some pretty acrobatic maneuvers.
Kyler, I didn't know that this idea was around for so long. Even electric ones from the 1980's. :cool:

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh coooool! I could make an electric trash can cart or wheel barrow! I'm getting older, howsabout an electric adult tricycle? I'm sure someone already makes one. At work we use that motor-inside-the-wheel technology for roller systems that trundle the mail around the plant. We call them MDR's(motorized drive rollers). You can buy them cheap with plastic parts inside for $100 or long lasting and expensive with metal parts inside. Previously, we had roller systems driven by long metal shafts, gears, and chains.

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
I'm trying to think of a way to make a stand up trike.
The hard part isn't the design. The hard part is figuring out how to make it lightweight without having to weld aluminum.
And adding some light suspension (motorcycle shocks could do that)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Build one yourself
The difficult part is not getting a motor to spin a wheel.

The difficult part is the motion and balance algorithm.

A bunch of years back I knew a guy building his own DIY Segway. There was an open source community for that kind of thing with control software, and he was accomplished enough that he made improvements to the software. It's not a trivial thing to engineer.

When the Segway was first released, my first criticism (other than the absurd speculative hype over it, "bigger than the internet" said Steve Jobs, and "it will revolutionize the way cities are designed", people were thinking they'd invented antigravity the way it was being hyped) was that no one wants to move around from the pogo-stick position like a dufus. And the fact that it self-balanced was a gimmick. So I drew a sketch of a snowboard with two wheels that you stand a little bit diagonally sideways on. 15 years later someone invents the one-wheel with the same casual stance.

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
The difficult part is not getting a motor to spin a wheel.

The difficult part is the motion and balance algorithm.

A bunch of years back I knew a guy building his own DIY Segway. There was an open source community for that kind of thing with control software, and he was accomplished enough that he made improvements to the software. It's not a trivial thing to engineer.

When the Segway was first released, my first criticism (other than the absurd speculative hype over it, "bigger than the internet" said Steve Jobs, and "it will revolutionize the way cities are designed", people were thinking they'd invented antigravity the way it was being hyped) was that no one wants to move around from the pogo-stick position like a dufus. And the fact that it self-balanced was a gimmick. So I drew a sketch of a snowboard with two wheels that you stand a little bit diagonally sideways on. 15 years later someone invents the one-wheel with the same casual stance.
So zero cool factor for you then? OK

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a pretty big club of em around here that is always trying to find new places to ride. Works out well because the trails need to be super smooth for those wide tires, so they're out doing extensive trail maintenance removing roots and stumps and things that us mountain bikers would normally just ride around/over. The easy trails around here are looking much better since they came around. Anything remotely technical they won't touch of course though...

·
Registered
547 Posts
So zero cool factor for you then? OK
In building my own and writing and tweaking my own custom balance algorithm?

Yeah that would be cool, if I could do it. Way above my skillset, even trying to copy someone else's work.

Works out well because the trails need to be super smooth for those wide tires
I think your end result is right, but for the wrong reasons. They do need it to be smoother, yes.

But wide tires help with smoothness, just like fatbike tires. The problem isn't that they're wide (in most cases, though I suppose there may be lines a bike tire can cut that a onewheel cannot).

The trails have to be smooth because the wheels are such small diameter, not because they're so fat.

Just like how covered wagons had giant wheels so they wouldn't get stuck.

Same reason you can take a onewheel offroad and can't take an electric longboard. Onewheel wheels are bigger. Just not as big as bike tires.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm trying to think of a way to make a stand up trike.
The hard part isn't the design. The hard part is figuring out how to make it lightweight without having to weld aluminum.
And adding some light suspension (motorcycle shocks could do that)
You mean like a trike skateboard? Or like a bike trike?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts