Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Opel GT is the Rodney Dangerfield of Sport Car's - Classic or not,they get NO respect !

Even on the show Counting Cars when they approached an orange Opel GT driving around.
OH LOOK ! What's THAT ?! Oh it's just an opel gt ........drop mic,cut to commercial......
A show that talks about the history of every car they come up to,but the GT ? screw that car!

I had the Exact same issue when it came to trying to buy the car I have from going to the crusher in '93,
junkyard wanted $400, I only had 360 and change, and I had to plea to them to please let me have it.
In the 90's when the industry needed cheap steel, the junkyards crushed everything! and the Opel's
where the first to go since no one was buying their parts off them.

Gas Monkey has every right to do what he did, just so sad THAT was his fix for getting rid of these
eyesores he brought onto his lot. I think he could've been more creative in parting out these cars before
destroying them. Are his followers going to have the same hatred towards the Opel GT when
seen at car shows ?! I hope not, I mean being ridiculed for sharing your classic car with the world.
How far does this go, giving NO 2nd chances because once their gone, that's it!
And someone gets a thrill off that ? to each their own.

Makes me think twice now what do with my GT if I can't get it running, IS THIS it's future ?

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
985 Posts
The Opel GT is the Rodney Dangerfield of Sport Car's - Classic or not,they get NO respect !

Even on the show Counting Cars when they approached an orange Opel GT driving around.
OH LOOK ! What's THAT ?! Oh it's just an opel gt ........drop mic,cut to commercial......
A show that talks about the history of every car they come up to,but the GT ? screw that car!

I had the Exact same issue when it came to trying to buy the car I have from going to the crusher in '93,
junkyard wanted $400, I only had 360 and change, and I had to plea to them to please let me have it.
In the 90's when the industry needed cheap steel, the junkyards crushed everything! and the Opel's
where the first to go since no one was buying their parts off them.

Gas Monkey has every right to do what he did, just so sad THAT was his fix for getting rid of these
eyesores he brought onto his lot. I think he could've been more creative in parting out these cars before
destroying them. Are his followers going to have the same hatred towards the Opel GT when
seen at car shows ?! I hope not, I mean being ridiculed for sharing your classic car with the world.
How far does this go, giving NO 2nd chances because once their gone, that's it!
And someone gets a thrill off that ? to each their own.

Makes me think twice now what do with my GT if I can't get it running, IS THIS it's future ?
No, I don't think it is the future of the Opel GT at all, just look at those lines . I think that they, Gas Monkey, may lack the knowledge, may I even say intelligence, that may be required to develop the respect for one of the coolest sports cars made during that period of time. They, Gas Monkey, is most likely just hung up on American made muscle cars - I like the old muscle cars of the 60's and early 70's but there are other cars that I like more, like an Opel GT, which is a very unique car and has the visual lines unlike anything else of that period, well perhaps a bit like the Corvette, right. Perhaps that love of the muscle car is what drives their inability to see past the horsepower to one of the best designed cars of the period, IMHO. I guess if your only source of reference is a couple of rusted out GT's and not having the curiosity to look beyond that rust then perhaps that partly explains their lapse in judgement as relates to crushing cars. I however would expect more from, "professionals". Bottom line, their loss.

·
Vendor
3,314 Posts
Carl is right. GMG is only about "fast and loud". Opels tend to be neither, so it was just a stunt to show them being crushed by the 4x4. These guys probably don't have any particular disdain for the marque. They would have been just as happy to crush a couple MGs or Triumphs, or any other small HP sports cars from the era...

·
Registered
'73 GT
46 Posts
A friend in Dallas did go to buy them. Gas monkey accepted $1000 but then decided to crush them with a monster truck instead for the publicity.

The friend managed to save some parts off of them first, and he’s going to pick up the crushed remains of them for parts later for free…
I knew that was the plan from the start. The guy is and always has been a dick, and only cares about money and publicity.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I said I wouldn't watch, but curiosity got the best of me 😢
To say, I didn't want to do it but you made me?
And the comment about (the guy) who didn't want to give me a lousy $1000.00 and just took a couple parts. DIRT BAG, PLEASE!
I'm glad his truck broke!!!
And all the glass good grief.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
985 Posts
Glad he broke his big truck - like Brent H said - KARMA
What a shame someone would do that just because they can - absolute no point nothing to gain. What an AH.....

41 - 58 of 58 Posts