Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
US Opel engines

For all the engine gurus out there, let me start this thread with a quick, general I-4 (straight-4) engine question: does anyone know of any other straight-4 crankshaft support configuration other than 3 mains, crank has paired mains for paired cylinders (M-1/2-M-3/4-M), or 5 mains, crank has paired mains for each cylinder (M-1-M-2-M-3-M-4-M)? :confused:

OK, trick question really. The Opel 1.5/1.7 OHV I-4 engine used in the Rekord PII has just 4 mains, M-1-M-2/3-M-4-M . . . like the 5 main engine except that it's missing the center main!

I don't mind admitting that this is a first for me. I didn't know this even existed until I bought my '61 Rekord PII, which happened to come with perhaps the ONLY known Rekord PII FSM existing in the US. The detail in it is astounding . . . much greater than in the later factory manuals. Engineering spec illustrations abound throughout. It's cool just owning that manual!

Another oddity is this engine's adjustable, shaft-mount rockers . . . and did anyone else know they even offered a Rekord PII Delivery Van?! Didn't know this either . . .

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Otto, I've got a P1 Rekord repair manual, and you're correct, the detail is far better than in later manuals. To the point where they give blueprints and dimensions on how to make your own tools for special procedures.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Details . . . .

RallyBob said:
Otto, I've got a P1 Rekord repair manual, and you're correct, the detail is far better than in later manuals. To the point where they give blueprints and dimensions on how to make your own tools for special procedures.
AMEN to that, Bob . . . anal, Ger-'manic' (sic) attention to detail, or something like that, I think. At any rate, these books were published when mechanics actually fixed things . . . as opposed to just replacing major components!

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1.5 and 1.7 OHV engine usage . . .

Gary said:
Interesting.

My Olympia has the 1.5 OHV version of that engine.
According to what I've been able to figure out on the Olympia and Rekord PI/PII models offered during the '50s, that 1.5 OHV engine (80mm x 74mm, 7.25CR, 54HP, 81 lb/ft) was the only engine offered up to and including 1960, after which it was replaced by the 1.7 OHV (85mm x 74mm, 7.8CR, 64HP, 98lb/ft) of the same type for '61 and '62.

No Opels were imported here in 1963. They resumed importing Opels in 1964, but with Kadett models instead and using the more familiar 1.0 OHV engine for two years before displacement of that engine was increased to 1.1 for the 1966 models. This is the 3-main, econo and early Rallye engine used in the early year Kadetts and GTs.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
So ......

tekenaar said:
OK, trick question really. The Opel 1.5/1.7 OHV I-4 engine used in the Rekord PII has just 4 mains, M-1-M-2/3-M-4-M . . . like the 5 main engine except that it's missing the center main!

Another oddity is this engine's adjustable, shaft-mount rockers . . . and did anyone else know they even offered a Rekord PII Delivery Van?! Didn't know this either . . .
Looks like Opel have been doing it just a wee bit differently for quite a long time - interesting! :cool:

Just recieved a copy of "Opel - Wheels to the World" and it certainly is an interesting Company......

Here is a pic, from that book, of a 1958 Olympia "van"

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts