Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the new owner of an Opel 1900 sedan that is in very good condition on the outside. The former owner told me that it ran perfectly but I discovered(on my drive back from California to Iowa that it had no power in the mountains and I had kick in super gear of the transmisssion just to get over the summit without putting to much strain on the engine.

I former owner did say, after I paid him(ebay purchase)that if it were him he would rebuild the carb. However, it is the original Solex Carb and it appears I cannot get a rebuild kit for it. I understand that I can get a Weber replacement carb. So, that is what I should do.

Can the proper Weber carb be found in Junkyards, and if so what model numbers should I look for

Any help with the above problems is appreciated.

Robert Swanson

·
tomking
2,484 Posts
Watch Ebay and you can find Solex rebuild kits. Most folks here though would pitch the Solex and replace with a weber. Check your local foreign car parts store and you can probably find one locally. call OpelGTSource for new ones. www.opelgtsource.com

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
Moderator's Note: Moved to the "Aftermarket Down-draft Carbs" Forum, where you will find LOTs of helpful threads. HTH

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Iowa?

Depending on where in IA you are, I could probably get you a rebuild kit for the Solex, or at least enough of the gaskets to do a quickie on it. I live just north of Sioux City myself, and if you're decently close I'd certainly be willing to take a look at it for you.

Manta, 1900, and Kadetts had vacuum secondary solex carbs vs the mechanical secondary on the GTs and they are well known for the secondaries "sticking" du to not being opened very often. That might be all that's wrong with yours too, if you wanted to start with something both easy and free.

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
Stephen, if you have trouble coming up with a kit, I still a have a couple hundred or so Solex overhaul kits.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DGV Weber carb

After finding a DGV weber carb(Junk Yard Survivor), I took it to the only guy in my area that still rebuilds carbs and turned it over to him to be resurected.

What a difference this carb makes in the performance of my Opel 1900. When the secondaries cut in the car really has great acceleration. Now, instead of a lead sled with the Solex Carb, I have a baby pocket rocket. Now, however I am considering selling the car as I don't really have the desire for a hobby car any longer, and I don't believe the car would be a good daily driver as it will need lots of attention to keep it in the great condition its in now.

If anyone is interested in an Opel 1900 that is in superb condition in all respects(better now than when I bought it last month, let me know. I am asking $3500 for the car. I will be putting up a more formal classified ad in the near future. I doubt that there are many of these fine cars still in existence and This one is a dream. It wouldn't take much work to put it into show condition if that is a desire.

It runs and drives like a dream-much better than my 93 Festiva or 2001 Toyota Echo. It has the feel of a much larger car and the wind hardly bothers it. It may not be the sporty look of the GT that most of you desire but it is a great little car. It just isn't practical for me to own, and that is the reason I am selling it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts