Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to be pretty heavy into 90's Opels and I am flip flopping on the idea of putting my race built T20SED ( cousin of the C20LET ) up for sale in the near future.

It was built by a race engine company with 800whp in mind but I didn't push it past 350Whp due to traction issues in my 1991 Passport Optima ( Astra MK2 )

I could spin the tires loose in any gear except 5th at 350whp so I found that was the limit where I found it reasonably safe to drive on the street.

I had planned to install a Quaife LSD into my Getrag F28 6spd Rally Prepped Gearbox to push up over 500whp but I just didn't have the time/money to get it setup and I eventually sold my Astra to a friend with a 2.0L 8V turbo

I noticed a thread talking about dropping the C20LET into the older Opel GT, is this something that is still interesting to some of you?

Given the 2.0L Iron block Opel engine was designed by Cosworth so they are very solid, there are many guys pushing well over 1000hp for drag racing.

·
Super Moderator
5,964 Posts
Yeesh.

OK, I already replied to your Calibra post. Now I just MIGHT have a friend here in Calgary interested in that T20SED. Chris Sore (aka "limeysore") is building a '78 Manta B. He is a Brit, and way back when, was a mechanic in an Opel dealership in England. Opels run quite deep in his veins. I think he is contemplating an i400 tribute car . His plan is still evolving as far as a drivetrain, as he bought the car with a modestly tidy (but very uninspiring) Chevy 2.8 / THM200 (likely) engine swap in place of the original 2.0 CIH. The Opel Co-Op here in Calgary has provided him a 1.9 that would form the basis for a 2.0 (or even a 2.2 or 2.4, as one of our members is building that from a 1.9 using RallyBob's recipe) and Chris has sourced a Getrag 240 5-speed from Belgium. I'll poke him to see if this is of interest.

And again, were are you in the very large country of Canada?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edmonton Alberta so very close indeed.

I still have two Daewoo Lanos, which are essentially Korean copies of the Astra MK2 chassis but with new external bodywork. I was thinking of dropping the 2.0L Turbo into one of them or even buying an Opel GT but I really don't have a good place to work on vehicles now and I'm trying to downsize.

I will say that I have a fair chunk of change into the engine, which is why I am flip flopping on selling it. Most of the work was completed by Bel Engines up here in Edmonton, their primary work revolves around race engines so they have a strong reputation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also mention that if your friend has interest I have several C20 and T20 blocks, the C20GET can be found in north america as a 2.0L 8V turbo from the late 80's Pontiac Sunbird. The T20 can be found in a Chevy Optra ( Canada ) or Suzuki Reno/Forenza in the USA. I do have a huge stockpile of forged rods/pistons/manifolds and other stuff if he was looking to do more of a budget build with the 2.0L iron block Opel/Cosworth engines. As well the C20GET is pretty solid right from factory, lots of guys manage 300whp on stock internals ( came with Mahle 8:1 forged pistons ) GM was stupid and did not use an intercooler thus the factory engine management runs it very rich. As well they did a crap job on the intake so you get large variance in A/F ratio between Cylinder 1&4 which needs correction if one wants to make good power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts