Opel GT Forum banner

Opel before the Vette?

6K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  manyopels 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Even on Opel's own website it makes a vauge reference to the Vette coming first. I continue to hear both stories. It'd be really interesting to see some factual documentation. Maybe that'd be a good question on some Speedvision auto show like My Classic Car or something and see what they say. If they respond to it.

-kyle

#4 ·
Opel on Speedvision (or TNN)

"My Classic Car" has shown Opel GTs before (Dennis Gage owns one . . . clean , very stock), but the only real "historical" segment I've ever seen on the GT was the Classic Car and Driver segment aired last year on TNN, featuring Ken Litke's very nice white car. They mention, and show pictures of the prototype GT introduced at the Frankfurt Auto show in 1965, and the editors of Car and Driver generally give a brutally accurate appraisal of the GT: great styling, lacking in handling and performance. Keep an eye on Car and Driver TV, they might re-run it sometime in the future.

#6 ·
Someone saved and hosted the C&D Opel GT show on their website. I found it one night doing Google searches on "Opel GT" and bookmarked the site on my home computer. I just happened to stumble upon this bookmark last weekend and watched the episode again. I can post the link when I get home if anyone wants to see the segment.

#8 ·
The definitive history is "Das Grosse GT Buch," but it's in German. I did a GT history for the Blitz a few years ago. If anyone is interested, I can dig it up and post it, but that will have to wait until I finish the current Blitz.
In the meantime, the "quickie" version is that the GT is based on the Experimental GT, while the '68 Vette is based on the Mako Shark II, both of which were shown in 1965. So neither came first. But both were in turn based on a pair of Corvair show cars from 1962, the Monza GT & SS.
As for the targa tops, Gordon Buehrig (designer of the classic Cord, Duesenbergs, Auburns, etc) designed an abysmally ugly sports car called TASCO in 1948 that sported the first T-tops. He patented the idea in 1951, tried to get Ford to use them on the original T-Bird and ended up settling out of court with GM in '68 when they showed up on the Vette without permission.

#9 ·
Opel or Vette????

As far as I know the vette came first....as far as the sting ray style. But interesting history linked with Opel and the Corvette.....The first Corvette project name was covered up and called "The Opel Project" so no one would be curious to what was going on.

#10 ·
This is my first post on the site, but being a GTophile I though some of you might want to check out the Book 'Project 1484'. The book title relates to Opels code number for the GT and the first few chapters covers the GT's development.

I'll try and upload a photo at some point, but during the design phase a picture of the 'Mako' vette can be seen hanging on the wall behind design team so as to provide some inspiration to their work.

BTW: great site, sure to be visiting on daily basis.

#11 ·
Opel GT styling

As an architect I tend to look closely at design issues. I have always liked the GT body styling. One thing that is admirable to me is the fact that that almost every surface is either curved or made of compound curves in two directions at once. For anyone who went through the awful era of the mid to late seventies and the eighties of flat looking auto's with absolutely no shape or style, the Opel GT stands out as a great visual design.
Just because it might have been "influenced" by the Stingray Corvette design does not mean an any way that it was a "copy". To me it is plainly another design altogether. Most designs are in some way influenced by other work. Personally, to me it looks very different from the 1960's Corvettes, which were the only ones that I ever really liked (the 1950's originals are good too) and is much better than the 1970's Corvettes that were too big and rather awkward looking. The Opel GT is a very unique and interesting design that deserves credit for it's own sake. How many cars are there, after all, that look anything like it?

BDD

#14 ·
Hi John,

I managed to get hold of a copy of Opel GT Projekt 1484 at a Eurotreffen a few years ago.

The Euro meet was the Conrero spectacular with 2 genuine Conrero's on display, one being our club Chairmans car. I believe his Conrero is the only genuine road going Crossflow Conrero running at the moment.

I've done a search on Amazon for you but it's not listed there and I've also checked Suselbek / Parsgets site and there's no mention there either, I can only assume its no longer in print, but if it helps here is the ISBN 3-86133-170-5.

If your interested in getting a copy let me know as I may have one other source try.

#17 ·
All,

The copies I may be able to get hold of are new. It would appear getting them through Amazon as 2nd hand could be v.difficult but if you must have a copy now then you could try searching on ebay.de as I sometimes see the odd copy on there.

If there are any new ones out there I'll try and get a price in the next few days.

#18 ·
Speaking of the C&D special

There was reference made that the person that designed the bodystyle of the Opel GT ALSO Designed that same body style of the Corvette and in his [the designers] memrois he wrote that he designed the Opel GT First and also liked it BETTER than the Corvette.

#19 ·
more design talk..

hi everyone

this is my first post but i've loved the GT for a long time...

i believe mr. kodama was the designer of the opel gt... if anyone is planning to attend concourse d'elegance this year, i hear he might attend... i'll try to find out directly from the horse's mouth..

i did also hear that the OPEL GT was mr. kodama's favorite design.

by the way, does anyone know what the offset of the wheels on the stock 1972 GT is?

thanks!

#23 ·
mark & marc...

i spoke with some other designers that know both mr. kodama and clare and they claim that Clare was in charge of overall design for Opel during the time of the GT but in fact the car was designed by a team, lead by mr. kodama.

and, they say the team had multiple sketches of the vette posted in the room while they worked on their design.

#24 ·
Sounds interesting Downtempo.

I've looked through all my GT literature and can't see a mention of Mr Kodama, but that's not to say he wasn't involved, in fact it would be quite nice to think that the pretty little Tigra and GT where linked by the same designers / team.

#26 ·
Which came first, the vette or GT?

I always thought, like a lot of people, that the Opel GT's so called "mini vette" front end styling was influenced by the corvette stingray design. However, I seem to recall reading somewhere that one of the German engineers who worked on the early GT design team was hired by GM to work on the corvette program that led to the stingray design. So which came first? Was the Opel GT design influenced by the vette or was the vette actually influenced by the GT?
Maybe one of you GT history buffs out there can set the record straight.

I'm just curious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.