Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,936 Posts
The Cheetah? Pretty much a racecar, not practical for the street. As fast as it was, it had Corvette drum brakes.
Any ideas how many are out there?
Or was it like a one off?
About 30 originals. Apparently Bill Thomas signed papers for 60 or 'continuation' cars about 13 years ago. Shell Valley makes a replica kit. There is also Cheetah Evolution which made a more refined (?) version with more modern engineering, but the company was up for sale a year ago.

Reactions: terrylewisac

·
Detritus Maximus
2,936 Posts
Was.. now we may see them come over as Dodge OR PSA will bring the brand over.

I think PSA got in bed with FCA, simply to have an established dealer network, because building a dealer network is hard and expensive.
That will be interesting.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,613 Posts
What Stellantis really needs to do, is put the concept GT into production and sell it in the US under either Fiat or Dodge. Sadly, Stellantis is focused on the EV future like VAG, BMW, Mercedes, Ford and GM. So if Opel ever did come out with a new GT, chances are it would be electric. Opel is really proud, and rightfully so, of their Manta GSe ElektroMOD. If Opel would make an electric sportscar that used this design and Ford's Mustang Lithium concept idea of using a manual transmission, that would be a really cool sportscar. I still think there is a place for manual transmissions in electric cars. Not because they are needed but because it can keep the fun in electric cars. Anyone could drive a manual transmission EV. Heck, it could bring back 3 and 4 speed manuals. That would be really cool.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
What Stellantis really needs to do, is put the concept GT into production and sell it in the US under either Fiat or Dodge. Sadly, Stellantis is focused on the EV future like VAG, BMW, Mercedes, Ford and GM. So if Opel ever did come out with a new GT, chances are it would be electric. Opel is really proud, and rightfully so, of their Manta GSe ElektroMOD. If Opel would make an electric sportscar that used this design and Ford's Mustang Lithium concept idea of using a manual transmission, that would be a really cool sportscar. I still think there is a place for manual transmissions in electric cars. Not because they are needed but because it can keep the fun in electric cars. Anyone could drive a manual transmission EV.
Having a 5 speed in an electric car is like putting reins for horses on a tractor. I don’t like automatics but superfluous complexity is worse.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,613 Posts
Having a 5 speed in an electric car is like putting reins for horses on a tractor. I don’t like automatics but superfluous complexity is worse.
Not if the entire point is to still feel that mechanical connection to the road and the motor, allowing you to sense how much grip the rear end has. In terms of efficiency, it also allows different gearing so the motor doesn't have to keep spinning faster and faster, eating up more electricity than necessary. Some EVs actually have 2 gear ratios and I'm sure in the future companies will consider going with 3.

We all know automatics are more efficient today than a manual transmission, yet we still do buy cars with a MT. Yes, they don't account for many sales but there are certain sportscars where the take rate is pretty high. The only reason why at this point is because we like it. We could do the same thing with EVs. Not everything has to be because it's the easiest, most simple way of doing it. Happiness has to count for something. Otherwise, why own a classic car?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Not if the entire point is to still feel that mechanical connection to the road and the motor, allowing you to sense how much grip the rear end has. In terms of efficiency, it also allows different gearing so the motor doesn't have to keep spinning faster and faster, eating up more electricity than necessary. Some EVs actually have 2 gear ratios and I'm sure in the future companies will consider going with 3.

We all know automatics are more efficient today than a manual transmission, yet we still do buy cars with a MT. Yes, they don't account for many sales but there are certain sportscars where the take rate is pretty high. The only reason why at this point is because we like it. We could do the same thing with EVs. Not everything has to be because it's the easiest, most simple way of doing it. Happiness has to count for something. Otherwise, why own a classic car?
This isn’t aimed at you, it’s my general frustration with marketing dictating dumb ideas to engineering.

Everything should be made as simple as possible but no simpler. There are simpler ways to keep electric motors in their efficiency band than to stick a 5 speed manual in one. If the EV is striving for efficiency then don’t put in a heavy ICE era drivetrain. Seems the best efficiency would be a smaller motor at each wheel.

How about piping in some ICE exhaust sound tracks on EVs too!

IMO if people want a 5 speed and exhaust sounds then buy a classic car that fits expectations.

I think it’s nutty but others may disagree, and that’s fine.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,613 Posts
This isn’t aimed at you, it’s my general frustration with marketing dictating dumb ideas to engineering.
Ok, I get that. But there actually are understandable reasons for putting a transmission in an EV.

Seems the best efficiency would be a smaller motor at each wheel.
Overall weight might actually be worse, depending on the design and packaging. When you consider the need to cool the motor, regenerative braking, etc. And going back to the issue of constantly increasing the speed of the motor to allow the vehicle to hit 150+ mph and how that often results in the need for some gear ratios to be involved, it adds up. Instead of having multiple transmissions to manage smaller motors, few transmissions to manage fewer, larger motors. The most efficient method is probably one motor and one transmission per driven axle.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts