Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything? I notice a Milwaukee club seems to be active. I saw a chicago address on a site some where but no name and no phone number. I just got an opel and some local contacts would be great.

I think I can do most of the wrenching myself but an opeler endorsed mechanic would be good too. :p

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi and welcome to the group!

Sorry to see that there haven't been any replys yet from any Chicagoland Opelers. I'm sure there are quite a few. I know John & Connie Dickerson and their GT are from Chicago. Maybe you can find them in the members section of this list. Anyway, I would like to invite you to join the Milwaukee group if nothing else materializes in Chicago. We have a group of 6-8 that have gotten together the last year or so and it is a lot of fun. Our next meet is on June 12th where we plan on replacing a ball-joint on a member's car. This way we all get to learn how to do something. At our last meet we installed 2 Pertronix units and an Otto-Start, then took a group drive to a local drive-in to eat and show off our cars. Email me off list if you would like directions to our next meet. We normally don't accept BEAR fans but we do make exceptions when they own an Opel!! :p

Jeff Pozorski
[email protected]
73 Manta

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good. Me and my brother have a goal to get the GT road worthy in 2 months. Who knows it may take much less time. Either way it would be a good idea to meet up and learn some more about these cars.

Jeff Pozorski said:
Hi and welcome to the group!
We normally don't accept BEAR fans but we do make exceptions when they own an Opel!! :p
Well normally I dont cross through the cheese curtain unless absolutly neccesary but I think I can make an exception too. ;) I have spent some quality time in Milwaukee.

·
Opel Adventure # 77 NC
647 Posts
Jeff,
John & Connie live in Springfield.
urbsnspices,
I live in East Moline, and might be able to make a Chicago get together.
Bill Hoffman in SE Wisconsin usually has a get together in Oct.
Kevin
70 Kadett 2.0, 38 DGAS

·
Opeler
107 Posts
My wife and kids are Cubs/Bears fans so, I am pactically a Chicagoen by relation. The only time Miller park is full is when the Cubs play there. Just think of us as Way North Chicago. Heck, anyone with an interest in Opels is welcome here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey,

I live in Geneva, IL and I currently own 5 Opel GT's. Three are runners and two are parts cars. I have a freind that lives in Aurora, IL that owns a GT and maybe we can start something. If nothing else, I have parts for almost anything you need to get your GT road worthy. My direct e-mail address is [email protected]. Feel free to e-mail me. Maybe we can all hook up at a car show in the Chicago area if nothing else!

Glenn Yerges

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Engine good, body hmm...

This is great, glad to hear from everyone!

Ok here is the deal on this car:

The engine and trans are reported to be good. I knew the last owner and he took decent care of the drivetrain. I started it up today with very little trouble. When I get my brother over here we will take it around the block and see what happens. Seems like it has a Weber installed and I have a second rebuildable weber and a spare starter.

White interior: Not bad at all. The dash, zero sun cracks. It looks good and the guages seem to work. With whats available from opelGTsource I have no concerns about this.

Body: this is what freaks me out. The bellypan and rear panel needs replacing, I guess the fiberglass panels are the solution. Floor will have to be replaced, not a big surprise. here is the biggie, the lower part of the door frame has rusted though to the out side! :eek: The upper parts of the car are very good. The whole body was primed at some point, I think to prevent further rust.

I am willing to spend time and money on this project but the running board/door frame rust has really got me down. I know very little about what body work can save but this looks rough to me. Is it really worth saving this thing? Should I transplant everything into a better body? I can take some pictures and post them.

72opel-gt: Im in streamwood, which is next to schaumburg. If you are ever near by and want to take a look at the car. I would love to hear what Im up against and would be happy to hear your opinions. Ill supply the food and beer.

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,407 Posts
Northern Illinois Opelers

Just a bump to see who is still out there.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
OMC Chapter in the area

There is an OMC Chapter (also called
the "NAOGTC Chapter") based in Chicago.

Anyone who wants contact information,
should email OMC at:

joinomc (at) opelclub (dot) com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts