Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know of any opel clubs or gaterings in North Carolina? I thouhgt t one point I had heard of Mid Atlantic Opels but can't find any info.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
There is a mid Atlantic Opel Club. I think Charles Goin is head of it, not really sure. Roy Bell from Concord hosted the gathering at Charlottes Auto Fair last weekend. There were 5 of us there. Mark and Melody Ethridge. Roy Bell. Mike Prebles, John Mays, and myself. Jarrell Young. I am from the Reidsville, N.C. area. Mike is from the Raleigh area, and the rest are from the Charlotte Area. Attached is a picture of us at Gate 7s Entrance. Mike hadn't made it to the show at the time this picture was taken.Jarrell

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,121 Posts
I have been trying to get Opels together at the Charlotte AutoFair each Spring and Fall for about 3 to 4 years now. I was about to give up on it until last week when we had 5 GT's show up. A few other guys stopped by and said they had an Opel and wanted to be a part of it. With the rest of you, who have been responding to this post, it looks like we may just start getting a great club together for the North Carolina area. E-mail me at [email protected] so we can start to figure out a time for us to get together! I live near Charlotte but we can have get togethers at different locations...

Roy

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must have missed you guys. I was at the auto fair on sunday and didn't see anyone. I heard there were some there that is why I went. I am in High Point. My ride is a basket case right now but before too long will be one a kind . I hope, I am sorry I missed you all.

·
Opeler
8 Posts
Hello Bear,I was at the OPEL GT Fest, Roy put on a great show this Spring. Hope to have at least 10 Gt's next go round in all stages of restorations. I was really amazed at how many people young and old stopped to look and chat and pose for a picture in front and some ladies even posed sitting in the cars askin there male friend if they could please have one. A n Opel Gt that is! If you know of any GT's in the area please pass it along to Roy Bell so he can hound them to get more involved.
Oh yea, I almost forgot I live in Charlotte, Have a 1973 Gt and don't drive it as much as I should. Let's get together! MARK

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,440 Posts
My thoughts of the two Charlotte shows are these.

1) The first is too close to Carlilse, in date and in a nasty time of the year for weather. So I don't tend to go, I leave being committed to being rained on all weekend to one show a year ;)

2) That said, it's a great location and has all the benefits of the Carlilse Meet and then some.

3) If memory serves, believe it or not NC has the largest base of Opels on the east coast.

4) The Sept. show falls close to the Opels Across America event date.

So... as I have mentioned to Roy. Why not have the OAA coincide with the September Charlotte Autofair date. Make it a big Southern Meet, like we do for Carlilse at the beginning of the year.

Reserve some rooms, go out to Dinner, etc.. and make a weekend of it?

I think if we promoted it early enough in the Blitz, and online it could become a very large show on the order of size of Carlilse, OMC picnic, Washington and Texas Meets.

In the meantime I got to get ready for Carlilse its only two weeks away believe it or not. Hope to see everyone there. Maybe if we can get the date for the September meet we can have flyers made up for it to hand out there.

One more thing, how about we work with OMC and designate one of the big meets a year as a NATIONAL Meet? So one year EVERYONE trys to make Carlilse, or the OMC or the Texas Meet? It would give locals 3 years or so between meets to really plan things out etc. Just an idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts