Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Vendor
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
... The hand made bookends I bought off e-bay 11 years ago are super rare and very nice. made from plaster and painted bronze...
Great stuff Mike,
I particularly like those bookends. Do you know if there were one-off, or are there more around? Definitely the only ones that I've seen. I won't ask you where you "found" the speaker for the drive in! :D
Ron in Indy

·
Vendor
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
First pic shows members mags of two German Auto Clubs...
Wow! I need to start hanging out more on German eBay. I'm guessing that most, if not all of these never make it to the US. I really like that gas can (and what's underneath it looks pretty good too! :veryhappy)
Ron in Indy

·
Vendor
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Here is one more try on the attachment. If this doesn't work, I'll try again. :banghead:
Kevin Fier
Outstanding! I bet it's even cooler with the lights out. Neon signs are somehow always classier than the LED ones.
Ron in Indy

·
Senior Contributor
1,643 Posts
Great stuff Mike,
I particularly like those bookends. Do you know if there were one-off, or are there more around? Definitely the only ones that I've seen. I won't ask you where you "found" the speaker for the drive in! :D
Ron in Indy
Hi Ron, I think that the Bookends are one of a kind. Hand Made in 1991 with the makers ID on the back side and the address too. (see the photo's)
The Drive - In speakers are real collectible. I was a regular participant and the local car show at the Drive-in here in the mountains of New York. The Drive-in owner converted the sound to FM radio signal and did away with the speaker system. Yes we still have a bunch of drive in movies still around here and after the car show could stay and watch the movie for free. The speakers made nice awards and the rest were free to show car participants.
I was going to buff it up nicely to a chrome finish being it's all aluminum and add to the show case.

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
1,643 Posts
Here is one more try on the attachment. If this doesn't work, I'll try again. :banghead:
Kevin Fier
That's one real nice Opel sign. Real cool Looking, Looks pretty bright too. I was looking to get a Opel Dealer sign, from the local Buick Dealer here in NY. But someone beat me to it!

·
Registered
342 Posts
A few other ones I doug out:

Two old taxi bills with a P1 and P2 respectively.

The other one is a real oddity, especially for today's restorers: An official Opel workshop manual fom the 50s for rust repairs with fiberglass. Among other things it says to stuff the back of the repair spot with old newspapers to keep the fibermats from falling into larger holes.

Attachments

·
Opel-ing since '74
1,141 Posts
Very cool, Rick!
How did you get it?
Is it nylon or some other material?
How do you display it? (other than holding it up in front of the garage-tough on the arms after awhile...:tongue1: )
Ron in Indy
Hey Ron:
Sorry, I haven't been on here much since posting this. A good friend with close ties to Opel in Germany got it for me :cool: It's basically just a cotton linen sort of material - not at all suited for exterior display. That's why none have survived; they flew for a few weeks, then disintigrated :sigh:
It has pockets for dowels at the top and bottom. For the time being, it'll probably just stay folded in a drawer :yup:
Rick

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Here's a cool piece of Opel history; a truly rare, brand new banner that was given to dealers in Germany. The campaign was in 1971 to preview the "new" blitz logo.
Wizard to Dorthy "Ignore the man behind the curtain":veryhappy

·
Registered
342 Posts
From a practicality standpoint this is Opel-related junk. Recently found one of the very rare original Continental Super Record redline tires that came standard on early Rekord Sprint and Commodore GS models. Tire size is 165/80/14. Has now a new home as a spare in my '68 Rekord Sprint. Hope I will never have to use it though.:haha:

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's part of the trunk floor with fuel filler under a lid on the rear end beneath the license plate. Same thing as with most of the American cars in these days.

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,409 Posts
Nice models, Hans, but a little too pricey for me. ....... :sigh1:
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

I thought for sure that you would jump on two with no hesitation on your part.

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,409 Posts
Not necessarily Opel

Don't know what to call it. It's a badge that mounts either to the grille work or off the bumper. It is European.

Attachments

Reactions: Aardvaark (R.I.P.)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,269 Posts
That's a real nice looking one, Hans.

I think that type is supposed to signify the countries you or your car have been in. That's what they're supposed to be for, but most people just buy them as cool souvenirs, regardless of whether they or their car has been to the country they symbolize. I used to see them frequently in the 70's-80's. Usually just the plain white ones with a big alphabet letter on them.

Yours is the really, really, nice collectable kind.

Nice!

:yup:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Since the scale model folks already have their own forum, I thought I'd start a thread where people can share some of their other Opel "treasures". I know I'm not the only one prowling around on "FleaBay", and digging through piles of stuff at swap meets to find new blitz-containing goodies.
Here's one I found recently which I thought was pretty unique. Cleaned up real good...:cool:
Ron in Indy

Buick/Opel ???? :lmao:

41 - 60 of 82 Posts