Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 45 minutes I have been searching Craigslist for Opel postings. Most normal human beings are sound asleep in bed, what is wrong with me? As a new member of this community, I was unaware of my addiction, tentatively called " Ineedum Opelitis Immediaticum". Any other diseases that I should look forward to in my near future?

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,271 Posts
There is a virus going around here called "Ineedanotherum Opelitis Immediaticum", and this one is not unheard of either: "Ineedsevveral Paartscaars tofixdeothers". When both of them infect you, a third one will be close by, called "madrivewayy isfreakinfull".

I know what I'm talking about, although I'm not a doctor. Just infected like we all are.

Welcome to the club!

Dieter

·
Opel Addicts
2,466 Posts
Beware.... highly contagious

All of the diseases you mentioned (and many more I'm sure) fall Into the category we call "Opelitis". Be very careful as Opelitis is highly contagious and Opelitis has no known cure. In fact, many who thought themselves well rid of it find that it recurs many years later. Opelitis can be brought into remission for a short period oif time by the purchase of another Opel.

We are currently working on keeping our Opelitis at bay by repeating a mantra (not Manta) several times daily. Our mantra is "We have no more room, we have no more room....." So far it is working, but we are not sure how much longer we can hold out.

Welcome to the highly contagious disease ward! :D

Vickie

·
Super Moderator
3,160 Posts
All of the diseases you mentioned (and many more I'm sure) fall Into the category we call "Opelitis". Be very careful as Opelitis is highly contagious and Opelitis has no known cure. In fact, many who thought themselves well rid of it find that it recurs many years later. Opelitis can be brought into remission for a short period oif time by the purchase of another Opel.
I can say that I was without an Opel for almost 20 years and the disease that had been dormant for so many years reared it's ugly head and came back and made me buy more Opels! Please be careful! There is no known cure as of this writing...

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
We are currently working on keeping our Opelitis at bay by repeating a mantra (not Manta) several times daily. Our mantra is "We have no more room, we have no more room....." So far it is working, but we are not sure how much longer we can hold out.
Vickie
Opelitis is a neurological disorder of various sorts, not a biological one. So there is always room for one more Opel........in the mind of the afflicted. :eek::yup:

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
I'm just thinking we should hold an Opelitis support group workshop next weekend in Springfield. If Vickie would just agree to an intervention.....:ugh:
:lmao:

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts

Vickie
Vickie, I'd roll my friends 350Z out of the garage and you can store one of yours here. Just leave me the keys.

·
Opel Addicts
2,466 Posts
I'm just thinking we should hold an Opelitis support group workshop next weekend in Springfield. If Vickie would just agree to an intervention.....:ugh:
Mark, Thanks... but no thanks! We are quite happy wallowing in our Opelitis. :D

Vickie, I'd roll my friends 350Z out of the garage and you can store one of yours here. Just leave me the keys.
Tony:

Kind of long distance for storage, but thanks for the offer. I'm betting you were hoping I'd store Octavia down there with you.
Let me think about this..... :ponder:

uh :no:

Thanks anyway :D

Vickie

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
With your flock I don't think that you can go wrong. I do like Octavia but have always loved The Bumblebee and can't wait to see the DESTEC GT one day.

·
371 Posts
yep i got it too
but wife doesen't have yet
now
own a 1969 gt my son's car if he's get's back too it
a 1971 gt &1972 gt and looking for a 1970 &1973 gt cheap

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,508 Posts

Vickie
I can attest to the incurability of Opelitis.. I have been Opel-less twice now.. each time I get into close proximity of other Opelers and BAM.. !! The last time started as saving a "free" GT, which turned into a trade for Manta, which then was restored and infected my Son. That brought a string of other Opels that I bought with plans to keep but had to sell (I was trying to rid myself of "madrivewayy isfreakinfull")

Towards last year I was down to my 4 door Kadett (The car that brought Opelitis upon me over 25 years ago), and my son's Manta... and was then affected by Pontiacitis.. by a rough 66 Lemans/GTO convertible clone. Interestingly enough Pontiacitis seemed to be cureable.. because after restoring it I was easily able to sell it and have realitively few parts left from it. Opelitis not so much..

As it wasnt a month after curing myself of Pontiacitis.. Not only did Opelitis return but so did "Ineedsevveral Paartscaars tofixdeothers" and "madrivewayy isfreakinfull". As I got three more Mantas.. Fortunately two of the three will be parted and crushed to temporarily cure the "Ineedsevveral Paartscaars tofixdeothers" and "madrivewayy isfreakinfull".. but obviously the Opelitis is here to stay..

So currently I have a 4 door Kadett, and my sons' Manta in the driveway, my Manta project (In the garage) and a Parts Manta (That I need to pick up).

Over the years I have had a gray market Opel Commodore B, a Bitter SC, a GT, over a dozen Mantas and Asconas, a few Kadett fastbacks and my 4 door Kadett. I would still have them all if not for my wifes' cure for "Ineedsevveral Paartscaars tofixdeothers" and "madrivewayy isfreakinfull" which is a steadfast rule I cant have more than 3 at a given time.. :)

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Yes very sad but very true. I also am a victom of Opelitis. I was infected in 1977. There is no cure for this. I will be at the support group workshop in Springfield next weekend:veryhappy

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,508 Posts
Yes very sad but very true. I also am a victom of Opelitis. I was infected in 1977. There is no cure for this. I will be at the support group workshop in Springfield next weekend:veryhappy
I really wish I could go to Springfield.. but just got back Charlotte...

·
Registered
70 Posts
opleitis

I see now this is a world wide epidemic, With new pin points popping up on the map as we speak. Not to mention the side affects of always needing just one more part. Endless scrolling ebay for the newly listed. Getting the car is only the start of it. I'm in for the support group too but it'll have to be over the web. Dawn:banghead:

·
She's paintin' it pink
13 Posts
Another victim....You might try a enginectomy on a GT before it's too late. Or take some "Thisastereoshoudfitatol". One must is to check the headlight wiring.That will cure most gawking friend tinkers. But by then YOU've got one and it's terminal. I prefer to just live with Opelitis. You might as well fill the back of your garage with parts/parts car(s), and make sure to leave a spot the Mrs. to park. You will enjoy the zips around town when the fever gets high.

·
Opeler
65 Posts
Then there is "Opelclubitis", contrary to popular opinion it has nothing to do with beating our treasured Opels with a club. In reality it is a yearning to join Opel clubs. In the absence of a local group sometimes someone with this disease will be the only member. There was this poor desperate Opeler that started a club called OOPOC (Opel Owners for the Preservation of the Original Color) Normally this is a harmless affliction, but anything can be taken to far.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,
thanks for all the feedback and history of my ailment. At least I now know that I'm not alone in this affliction.

·
Senior Contributor
1,606 Posts
Opelitis Got me too

You know you have Opelitis when your obsessed with buying Opel parts, turning a bedroom in a parts room. Buying more Opels to work on.
Making Opel GT T-Shirts/Mugs/Sweatshirts/Jackets/Manta T's/ Framed Pictures/Trophy Room and all I can think of in my spare time is getting in my GT and riding around to dusk. :drive: You know you got it bad when you can't go a day without Logging On... Here :D
I recently purchased a MGB, but It's doesn't have the same effect.
It's highly contagious as my Opel friends have all got the Opel Disease OPELITIS :D

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
Mark, Thanks... but no thanks! We are quite happy wallowing in our Opelitis. :D
Vickie
Okay then. I'm thinking we could shoot a video to warn people of the
dangers of owning too many Opels and call it "Opel Madness". To be shown and club gatherings and passed around to warn others.

It would be filmed along the lines of that classic "Reefer Madness" dangers of Maryjane warning film of 1936 but would star Vickie and Allen as two youngish people who have gone crazy due to over exposure of too many Opels and parts of Opels and have incurable Opelitis. One scene would have Vickie dancing around her GT in a fit of uncontrollable joy and Allen watching from the side in a maniacal fit of laughter.
So I will bring a video camera to Springfield next week and be prepared to
film it. We will need volunteers to be extras along with their Opels.

Be warned, it could happen to YOU, or You, or you..... :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts