Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has probably been brought up somewhere on this forum before, but I didn't find anythign about it my searchings. I wanted help on buying an Opel GT.
Anyways, I'm very interested in buying an Opel GT. VERY interested, for once in my life I am genuinely enthused about buying a car.

I currently have an 89 Camaro RS, with a 91 3.1L Engine. It's crap. I liked it better than the other cars I had available to drive, it has a nice soundsystem, but stuff just kept breaking. There isn't anything about the car that is classic, or realyl even that great. I like how it looks, and so do girls, but the second I saw an Opel GT I fell in love.

I have done all the research I have been able to on the internet concerning the cars but the information is quite limited. I only personally know two people who even know what an Opel GT is. One will probably be a good help later on since he is very into custom cars, but his concept of getting a car is to buy something that is in decent shape, and drop like 80,000 dollars into it. I can't do that, I am a college student.

So, I want to buy an Opel that is running and will last a while without any seriously expensive overhauls. Later in life I will restore it, or modify it, when I have the money to do so. Right now I just want to get myself into one for a price I can afford.

So I guess what I am asking is where I can look to find one, what to look for as far as quality, which options I should try to find, and any other general tips for buying one.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Andy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Opel dreams

I would say a good place to look would be Ebay. I have seen what (LookS) to be some half decent GT's there. The challange would be to find one that is able to make a small journey or towing back home. I found mine in the trading times, it sat in a storage unit up on blocks for 5-8 years no rust no
rot just needed cleaning and a paint job along with a bit of body work. Not bad for an Opel living in Minnesota should have no floor pans. Or no metal at all in this car eating weather.
-Good Luck.

There are 4 up for auction as of now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hemmings Motor News? Excellent!
I knew I had seen a magazine out there that had somethign about Opels in it.

BTW, I got in touch with the guy selling one around here, and I get a test drive. Quite thrilled, I am.

·
Opeler
30 Posts
Just so you know, Opels are listed at the end of the Oldsmobile cars, there really isn't a header or anything for them because there are usually only 2 or 3 in there at most. I think the latest issue there is a "show quality" orignial car with like 12,000 miles for like $13k and another for like $2.5k

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks for the help with teh different sites, but I still had questions about what I should look for in buying an Opel.
All I've really been told is to check for rust.
If I were buying a honda or a chevy I'd know what to listen for from the motor, but I've never driven or heard an Opel (although that is changing I think I have a test drive scheduled this weekend). Also, the GTs are older cars than I have experience with so I don't know what other problems that introduces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts