Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gary, I was thinking that perhaps we should have an area in this BB for specific information that may be frequently asked. For instance, I was contemplating having an area with specifications on Opel engines, (1.5, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 etc), with information such as bore x stroke, compression ratio, hp rating, valve sizes, airflow for the heads, etc. Then another area with gear ratios for the various transmissions (4-speed, 4-speed close ratio, 4-speed Quaife racing, 5-speed Getrags and ZF's) rear axle ratios with ring and pinion tooth counts, etc, etc.

This way, instead of constantly bringing the same issues up over and over again whenever new members come online, there would be an area to reference for these specs. Too much work, or worthwhile?

Bob

·
257 Posts
Bob,

That is a great idea.

You are the Opel Master...

Thank you for all your input and information about Opels.

Stanley P

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
thoughts?

Perhaps to keep te FAQ area from losing it's usefullness you should make it a read-only or at least only updatable by a few people to prevent the FAQ from being lost in the "new questions about the FAQ."
In a similar vein, Machine work, porting, polishing, adaptors, and the kind of stuff that really needs Bob's pictures to explain best might warrent an area as well. I love Bob's pictures. I love pictures of any thing machined to close tolerences. I could stare at ported intakes for hours.......:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Hmmm.... What if we expanded the "Technical" forum and added sub- forums for specific major components or combined the "Performance" and "Mechanical" and add sub-forums to that?

The big plus of this program is its flexibility. We are able to change it to whatever works for us. When the forum topics were set up, the intent was to have enough active areas that posts would be orderly and easily found. Moderators could then move off topic posts to the proper place. Threads that are posted in the "Open discussion" section would be moved to the correct forum.

Thoughts from others???????

·
Registered
23 Posts
Um perhaps you may want to make it similiar to the "Olds FAQ". It's a FAQ HTML pages with all information about oldsmobiles, mostly the 442/cutlass. It's hosted on a bunch of sites, so if you search for it you will probabally find it. I think that would be a good way of doing it.

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
RallyBob said:
Gary, I was thinking that perhaps we should have an area in this BB for specific information that may be frequently asked. For instance, I was contemplating having an area with specifications on Opel engines, (1.5, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 etc), with information such as bore x stroke, compression ratio, hp rating, valve sizes, airflow for the heads, etc. Then another area with gear ratios for the various transmissions (4-speed, 4-speed close ratio, 4-speed Quaife racing, 5-speed Getrags and ZF's) rear axle ratios with ring and pinion tooth counts, etc, etc.

This way, instead of constantly bringing the same issues up over and over again whenever new members come online, there would be an area to reference for these specs. Too much work, or worthwhile?

Bob
Opel-won-kanobie, your FAQ Forum has been added. ;) It is a moderated forum.

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, now that the forum is set up, I guess the thing to do is find out exactly what stuff needs to be put in it. I have a few ideas I've already mentioned, but I'm sure there are others too. Maybe photos can be taken of the various identifying details of the blocks/heads/rear ends/brakes/connecting rods/pistons/etc. Beats trying to describe it most of the time.

Bob
"Opie-wan-Kenobi"
Opel Jedi Master
"You are not afraid to work on an Opel? Hmm, you will be.... you willll be..."

·
Registered
47 Posts
let me know if you need any pictures, my GT is in pieces right now and will be in more pieces before too long. So let me know if there's anything you want pictures of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts