Opel GT Forum banner

opel for sale

6K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  kwilford 
#1 ·
im looking at picking up a gt thats for sale here for 3000
the guy says his wife is origional owner and he just had the engine rebuilt. the body is pretty much rust free but it hit a fence and needs the body straightened out on the pasenger side. im told the car has new brakes and exhaust as well. is this a decent price???
whats average prices for a gt???
are these cars worth much as a collector??
thanks
chad

#2 ·
GT for $3K

Chad
That's a bit much for a GT that needs bodywork, even if some of the mechanicals have been rebuilt or replaced. The bodywork, and the following paintwork will probably run you in excess of $2k, so, no it's not a good price. $3k for a GT it would have to be a good straight, rust free, body. Interior would show a little wear, but, not much and all mechanicals in good to great order. Without a pic of the damage you have described, the car should be no more than $1100-$1500.
MTCW
Gene

#7 ·
Chad,
You might want to see if the fellow would bargain. You can point out (tactfully ;) ) that he can do some checking and find average prices for used Opels on sites like this... .
You know what I mean? The whole 'I'm interested, but... etc'. He may not honestly have a clue what he should expect.
Ging

#11 ·
Keep in mind that these are Canadian dollars so we are really talking about $2200 USD and that the cars are more rare on the Cdn prairie. Having said that, if it has considerable front end damage, I'd keep looking.

#14 ·
Chad,

As I mentioned in my email to you, it's better to pay a bit more for a good car, than less for one that needs work. And as CDN OpelNut has pointed out, the $3k CAD is somewhat less than the American folks on this site might otherwise pay. But it has been my experience that collectible cars in Canada usually sell for the same dollar "number" in $CAD as $USD. What's a fair price? Whatever the "market" determines. But the market for Opel GT's is pretty unstable, since there are so few cars for sale, and fewer knowledgeable buyers. Which is exaggerated in Canada. And as far as being "collectible", they definitely are that. So much so, that it can be hard to give them away, and pretty soon they "collect" in your front yard!

I agree with Gene. If it's a decent runner with a good body and fair mechanicals, it might fetch $3k, or as much as $5k in better than decent shape. But as soon as you factor in some body damage, the price drops exponentially. Even a minor fender bender costs $3000 to repair properly, if you were to pay someone. But, to be the devil's advocate, if you can do it yourself for a few hundred in paint and supplies, and buy some decent marker lights for a hundred or so, AND if the car is truly rust-free and a one owner car, it might be a decent deal.

You mention the engine was "rebuilt". That might be the deciding factor. If it was done properly, by someone who knows at least a bit about Opel CIH engines, that's worth another grand. Or at least it can COST that much, so it's "worth" half that. But if was just "freshened", with new rings and gaskets and not much else, it might actually be a negative. A badly re-built engine can cost more (MUCH more!) to "set right" than to do it right the first time. Can the seller provide details, and bills, of the rebuild?

JM2CW

Good luck!

#16 ·
Garden Gnome

Chad;
We had another member involved in this same situation, about 2 years ago. But, the member bided his time and waited the seller out, and the member got the car for his price. The seller was asking $3500 for the car, but, it was only worth about $1500, and a year or so later, the seller gave in and sold for $1500. I hope your situation won't take near as long, but, good luck, stand your ground and be patient. :)

#18 · (Edited)
A VW FI System Installed on an Opel CIH

I went to look at a GT for Chad here in Calgary last weekend. In short, I suggested he keep looking. But it was an interesting car, with a big, "ricer" spoiler and fairly decent wheels. But what was REALLY interesting was the Fuel Injection system. It is some kind of mechanical VW/Bosch system, with a central injector pump, a throttle body mated to the stock carb flange, and individual injectors that were installed in the stock manifold by welding and tapping new ports. Here are some photos if anyone is interested

Attachments

#19 ·
A VW FI System Installed on an Opel CIH

And here are some more photos. It also had a glass pack muffler, and a split tail pipe with no resonator. Apparently it was BIT loud, but we couldn't get it started. And it had no belly pan. No sign of serious rust, and the battery tray was intact, but the shop that did the work simply chopped off the belly pan. Interesting car, but this one needs a good home, with a serious gear-head to get it back running. And a big-assed hammer, to remove that UGLY wing!

Attachments

#20 ·
how would you put gas in that car?

With that wing in the way, how would you put gas in?lol I payed 1300 us for my 71 gt. it had new tires, battery. and came with 450 in parts. such as sway bars and gasket set. all it needs is headgasket and brakes....

#21 ·
i finally got a good look ath the other car in town here. the shop owner let me take a look at it and gave me a bit of history. i guess the car is from BC and did run before they pulled the plugs and parked it 2 years ago. the body is smooth but you can see where there is a bit of ust bubbling through. the owners tried a bit of bondo and red primer to cover it. it needs to be fixed. rust is over top of wheel lips, one spot on the top of a fender and a few little spots just above the openings for the head lights. other than that the car looks not too bad. the shop guy tells me that it didnt run all that well and the wiring was shot. none of the lights work he says. i guess the owners dropped the car off at this guys shop do get fixed up and then havent called him or sent money or anything. its just been sitting.

#24 ·
barracuda said:
i have been asking for a phone number. he says when gets to it he'll phone the owners and ask if they will let him give me the phone number.
Has the car got registration plates on it? Don't know about there but here the details of a car owner are in the public domain and available for a couple of bucks search fee. If you cannot access that data in Canada then remember that the trafic police usually have access to those details .... Just a thought.

#25 ·
Chad,
I just sent you some info on Kat's GT in Oregon. It might be a bit far away, but then again...

As for the abandoned car there in Regina, I might have some advice. A number of years ago, a fellow left his MGB at my sister-in-laws shop for upholstery work. Short story, he never came back. She filed a "Mechanic's Lien" against the car, for unpaid storage charges and the work she had done. After a short waiting period, she applied to the Courts (I believe the Provincial Court) to take over the car's title, which they granted. I believe it took about a couple of month or three in total, after which she was free to sell or otherwise dispose of the car. Which she did by selling it to her (and also Myrna's) brother who has been restoring it since.

Anyway, I believe that is essentially the procedure to allow the shop owner to "force" the sale of the car to you.

HTH

#26 ·
hello all! i was wondering about this yellow gt in the pictures. where is it from, how much is it? (if it is for sale) I am from edmonton, and am in the same boat. i am looking for a gt as a project car (hopefully road worthy by next summer) Or any tips on a gt for sale in canada would be great!!

Leon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.