Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, does anyone know what the amp is on the fuses on the fuse block?????? to hook up a stero should i get a new fuse block? how do you hook one up? where do you get air filters, spark plugs? how much does it cost to get your battery charged up? I went out side about two weeks ago and found that there was a gas leak from that little metal pipe at the bottom of the car.(left of the left tail pipe..... it is tightened,how can i fix this???????

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
staple fuses

the fuses on the stero is a 10 amp staple shaped fuse. doesnt the round fuse on the fuse block have to be higher or the same????

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Wow, Starting at the beginning the stock fuses in a GT are either 5 or 8 amp depending on which position. If you hooked your stereo in like instructed you are before the fuse so you are ok. For the stereo you have you do not need a seperate fuse box, so don't worry about how to hook one up just yet. As for your air filter, if it is a stock solex then OGTS is your best bet. Plugs you should probably be able to get at a parts house, and maybe your air filter too. Get something descent like a bosch or ngk, every opel I've had hated cheap plugs.

As for your gas leak, the place you are talking about is the low point of the tank. You will need to do a bit of looking and maybe even pull the tank to be sure of where it is coming from. However the fitting on the bottom of the tank is a pretty likely spot.

While you are at the parts place or wall mart look at a battery chargers. Find one with a meter to tell how much it is charging, it will probably be cheaper and easier than having somebody else do it. It is also something you will use again later. One other thing you might think about too is some kind of manual. The factory ones are great but they can be pricey and sometimes hard to find. I have them and a chiltons, Look at ebay and pick what you can afford. Last I looked there was a bit of a glut of them so the prices were down. I picked up another year factory one for 13.50 including shipping.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Yeah, start reading... everything. This site is a good place to start. I have spent days reading old threads. run a search for something like "electrical" and read as much as your eyes can handle, and then read more.

The manuals are also a good research tool. I like to read mine while sitting in the passenger seat of my GT, makes it easy to put everything in the proper context.

The gas tank is tough to work on. I had a leak in my vent hoses at the end of this summer. When I pulled the spare tire shelf, I found the leak and also found that it was easier to re-hose the whole vent system than to fix the one leak. This is something that having a manual made a billion times easier. The back side of the gas tank is impossible to see without removing from the car. Using the manual, I was able to see what went where.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Replace the metal fuel line now!!! I have heard of many stories that they have lost their GT due to fire when the fuel leaks at this line near the rear muffler.

Opel GT Source (OGTS) sells the replacement line at a reasonable cost.

If the headlights haven't been rewired, this is another area you should be looking at.

This site is a great source. Just keep asking away.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Looking at JJ Wheatley's schematic, you can hook up the stereo fuse wire at the post that has a single large red/white wire on it. It's on the side of the fuse panel that has the 4 fuses next to it. Fuel coming out of the rubber grommet at the steel fuel line can be deteriorated fuel tank vent lines. Both fuel leaking at the steel line or from the vent lines inside the car are dangerous and should be fixed before driving the car. If needed, I have my fuel tank out of the car and can post pics of the vent line hook-ups. HTH.

Ron

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mcar has so many problems....

i really love my 71' opel gt... i've wanted it forever.... this is my first car and don't know where to start.....I have no one helping me... only car ive ever worked on is a 1994 eagle talon....where should i start? i cant drive it until 8 months.. now where should i start???? the battery is dead, brakes need replaced, engine needs tune up, two back tires are flat, minor gas leak.... funds are low..... I replaced the old vent (vapor lines).. thats when i found that gas leak.... i want to get it fixed up with no problems before i put the body kit on it... I've started to restore the interior, so i want to finish it first... after that which problems should i take care of? im about $75 bucks away from finishing the interior.... i live in east central ILLinois, so if anyone wants to come help me this summer, let me know.... lol ... I'll post pics of my gt when i get my camra to work.................. thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Start with the most dangerous, that is the fuel line, it's probably going to be the cheapest too. After that, in order to move the car the tires have to be fixed. It may just be they need air, or at least if they leak slowly, you can move the car around on slow leaking tires. A tune-up will probably cost less than $25 if all you will need is plugs, points and condensor. If you need a distributor cap, that will be a little more. Personally I would get the engine running right, then worry about the rest, like the tires. You said you have 8 months to before you can drive it, so take it slow and do it right. Answers to questions can be had on this site by a whole bunch of knowledgeable folks whose goal is to help keep the Opel marque up and running.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.