Opel GT Forum banner

Opel GT AM radio

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  First opel 1981 
#1 ·
I would like to get my original Opel GT AM radio working again. Does anyone have a Sams radio repair guide for this radio or other repair guide?
Thanks
Grady

#3 ·
Grady,
There are people in TN with several surplus radios. I sent you a Private Message some time ago and one shortly after you posted this one. Do you have to have THIS PARTICULAR radio working or is one like it okay? :D Contact me I MAY be able to help you out, neighbor.

Haroldc(at)united.net

#4 ·
Are the Opel GT radio's just about worthless?
The GT I just got had a radio sitting in the back and I just had to test it. It works great.
Is this something that basically has no value? I wasn't planning on putting it back in, especially since the dash has been cut for a newer radio.

Thanks.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, I know this is an old thread but I have an old AM radio! :yup: I got the radio in a box of parts that had been removed from a GT being converted to electric power and don't know why it was removed? The 2 attached pics show the wiring connection on the side of radio chassis and what I assume is a ground attached to the the a different side. In the second pic you can also see the wiring connector. My problem is I would like to test and see if anything works and was just going to hook the + wire from a 12V battery to the "12V" connection and the - wire from the battery to the "GND" connection and run a wire from the third connection to a speaker I have laying around. Then I couldn't figure out what to do with the "ground?" (the brown wire). I also don't know where to connect the second speaker wire. Tomorrow I will get out the FSM and track the wiring diagram, but was hoping someone might "illuminate" me! Thanks, Doug

Attachments

#6 ·
The brown wire connects to the "ground block" behind the dash. Where all the brown wires connect together.
The green wire is the positive side of the speaker. The black is to the negative side of the speaker.
The gray wire goes to the switched side of the fuse block.

To bench test it, hook the power source to the chassis (gnd) and gray wire (pos).
Speaker as noted above.

Note, you will get zero reception without some sort of antennae.

#8 ·
PS - Posted at midnight west coast time? Insomnia?
I have a condition called DSPS (Delayed sleep phase syndrome)
In essence, my brain turns on when it should be turning off. I could live very happily on a 26 hour day cycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.