Opel GT Forum banner

Opel GT Article in Top Gear

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  LynnB 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Just my opinion, but from what I've seen there are a bunch of GT's in this group that are a whole lot more impressive then that one.

#6 ·
Here is Retropower's own page for this car.

The suspension work is... interesting. I like that they integrated a set of coilovers into the front suspension but they removed the sway bar to add another pivot point to the lower control arm. The rear end was pretty much left stock, no sway bar and still uses the panhard bar. So, the coilover improvement is wasted in my opinion.

#8 ·
I suspect the strut arm was added to replace the location support the leaf spring provided to the lower control arm.
Without it, the fore and aft support looks more than a little weak.

Reactions: Autoholic
#9 ·
I agree about it making up for the lack of support the leaf spring provides. Overall, without any sway bars I think it's a suspension downgrade. They also added a 5 speed, that probably went with the engine, but they supported the rear of the transmission with only one vibration dampening mount in the middle. To me, two is far better to control vibrations at this location and is a stronger support method than just using one mount.

While their workmanship seems pretty good, the engineering side of this project, to me at least, is poor.

#13 ·
That's his shtick! He always plays the pompous buffoon that can't really do anything, but eventually concedes he learned something. That's pretty much the tone of his new show, Clarksons Farm. It was okay, but not as good as some of the things the other guys have done.

Except for The Reassembler, James May's shows are usually interesting and entertaining in a slower paced way without getting too 'manufactured'. I really liked Toy Stories, Our Man in Japan, James May Cooks, and even both seasons of his wine country tours.

The Great Escapists with Richard Hammond was entertaining. The science involved was cool to see, but it did get a bit fanciful.

US Top Gear was truly awful. None of the charm or wit. Australian Top Gear was somewhere inbetween. Grand Tour was good.

Reactions: JudokaJohn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.