Opel GT Forum banner

Opel GT AT shift knob

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  greensmurf20 
#1 ·
Heya guys, I have a 69 GT w/AT and was considering replacing the stock shift knob. Does anyone know whether this is a feasible idea or not, given you have to pull up on the factory shift lever to shift the gears in the car and most modern AT shift knobs are made so that you push down on them to shift?

Or does anyone know where I can get a modern shift knob styled like the GT's original where you pull up on it to shift gears?

Just wondering if I should stick with what I have or continue down this train of thought. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Claud

#2 ·
My GT is a 4 speed so I dont kno much bout the automatic. You said u have to pull up on the shifter to shift gears - is the mechanism that requires you to pull up in the shifter knob of in the transmission itself? If it is in the transmission, I would either leaver what you have or get an aftermarket shift knob that will thread onto the shifter (if it is threaded). If it is the knob, than I don't know that you will be able to find a replacemnt shift knob, unless its by a company that actually has a shift knob for a 1.9 3speed

#3 ·
While we'r on the topic of GT automatics...what are the options as far as getting an automatic. Does the Opel GT Source have a rebuilt, used or even an automatic case? Does anyone have an extra that they want to get rid of or swap with a 4-speed later. Any other automatic alternatives?

#4 ·
i have a autotransmission and torque converter with the trans crossmember and kickdown cable. for a 4 speed conversion you'd still need to get a auto flexplate, which i happened to sell to another member in more need, and of course the super short auto driveshaft.

#5 ·
Matt;
The automatic in the GT is in every way the same as for the Manta/Ascona, but, the shifter in the GT attaches to the passenger side of the trans and not the drivers side like the Manta/Ascona. There is that one and most important difference. so in this case to replace your automatic, you need another one from a GT, but, everything else is the same.

#6 ·
S-10 flexplate?

I have heard people say that the flywheel and clutch assembly out of a burg warner t-5 (common s-10 trans.) will work in a gt. I do not kno if this is a fact or not, but is there any kind of flexplate that will bolt to a gt crank?

#7 · (Edited)
the clutch disk and pressure plate of a S10 can work on a GT flywheel for the standard transmission opels. the flywhel needs to be machined down to one signle surface, not 2 steps like stock, the flywheel must then be redrilled and balanced with the new S10 assembly in place, but as far as i know, theres no flywheel or flexplate that will bolt up to a GT crankshaft. are you using a standard trans with a flywheel or a auto trans and flexplate setup matt?

Unorthodox makes a lightweight aluminium flywheel to use the S10 clutch assembly, but i think a group buy needs to be forumlated, i'm really not sure though, may be worth checking into

#8 ·
Mine is a standard 4-speed. As far as i know, its the original clutch from the factory. I don't think we pulled the flywheel out with the motor, i dont really remmebr. I didnt even kno it was a two-stage flywheel. Do you kno wut that is for?

#10 ·
"I don't think we pulled the flywheel out with the motor"

you had to of pulled the flywheel with the motor.. the only way to get it the flywheel off is to pull the transmission to gain access, or pull the motor to gain access.

not sure what your dad means about the release bearing being the same height, but something i know for sure is that the throw-out bearing is interchangeable between the S10 and Opel, along with the pilot bearing, and clutch discs obviousely have the same spline. i've been lucky enough to drive a 2.0 liter GT with a getrag 5 speed and S10 clutch. the S10 clutch has less pedal effort, but yet its still grabbier, i really do like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.