Opel GT Forum banner

Opel GT Autocrossing SM2? SM? - Did the GT have a back seat?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  StephenM 
#1 ·
So all this time I've been working on my 60-degree V6 GT project, with the thought that I would run it locally (where the rule interpretations are pretty lax) in SM2. I am making a lot of changes to the interior, but none of them are really much of a weight advantage, so I doubt anyone in our club will complain. I'm probably pushing the envelope just a touch with the suspension, as some of what I'm doing for the rear end could be considered a 'tortured interpretation'. (I'm eliminating the torque tube for a 4-link rear with an isuzu impulse rearend. - but I am planning on running the arms up to where the torque tube would have attached.)

OK, I realize at the national or even divisional level, all my toying around is pretty much a moot point. Ain't no streetable NA V6 Opel gonna beat a competent driver in a Vette or Miata with bejesus turbos. At least not with me behind the wheel.

While doing my work putting in my rollcage (mostly for the education of it), I found my opel had pristine, unused seatbelts in the back under the plywood shelf. What were these for? My wife said she has a coworker who swears up and down that she owned a GT in the 70's with a back seat. This is significant! If the car was available with a back seat, wouldn't it be an SM car, not an SM2 car? The GT could really be a contender in SM, but I don't seem to think it could realistically be competitive in SM2 given the mod's I'm planning. I've never seen a stock Opel with a back seat, but then again, my Opel is 7 years older than I am. I really wasn't checking them out at dealerships when they were new!

See less See more
#4 ·
Sporqster said:
(I'm eliminating the torque tube for a 4-link rear with an isuzu impulse rearend. - but I am planning on running the arms up to where the torque tube would have attached.)

There isn't much room in there for two upper links, especially at full bump. Have you verified that this is actually going to fit?

Also, the Chevy V6 swap isn't legal in SM/SM2, Sorry.

-Travis

From the 2002 rule book
----------------------------
Drivetrain and related components (induction, ignition, fuel systems, etc.) are unrestricted except for the following limitations:
Engine must be from the same manufacturer as the body (Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Datsun, Honda/Acura, etc.) Badges that exist as marketing aliases for the manufacturer (Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Datsun) will be recognized as equivalents. Swaps involving makes related only at corporate level (e.g. Ford/Volvo, Renault/Nissan, Chrysler/Mercedes) are not recognized as equivalents. Models produced as a joint venture between manufacturers may utilize any engine from any partners in the joint venture, provided that an engine from the desired manufacturer was a factory option in that particular model (e.g. Eagle Talon available originally with either a Mitsubishi or Chrysler engine, may use any motor from Chrysler or Mitsubishi).
----------------------------

#7 ·
Nationals SCCA says OK to 60V6

I asked the swap question to the national solo rules board about a year ago when I first thought of putting the 60V6 in there - I have it archived at work, since I figured someone would question the legitimacy. I got the OK from them then that the 3.4 V6 would be a legal SM2 swap for an Opel GT. All a GM family thing I suppose. By that logic, I suppose you could put a big block in there legally if only you could do it without cutting away more than 2 pounds of sheetmetal.

As for the rear end - all I've really done so far is removed the impulse parts and positioned them under the car with the car suspended. It will widen the track in the back by about 4 inches (not really a bad thing). and I'll have to re-locate the panhard rod pickup on the rear end. The isuzu had a 4-link, which I would like to used instead of having to fabricate a torque tube. but, I've not done the work on that part yet - 'eyeballing it' it looked like it would work, but it's not installed or even really designed.

#9 ·
I could just say it was a bored-out Opel Omega engine? That has a 3.0 60-deg V6, but the heads are too big to fit in a GT engine bay without a lot of cutting and banging, so I swapped the heads for pushrod heads, and bored it out to 3.4. This car is available in the states, rebadged as a 'Cadillac Catera'.

#11 ·
Sporqster said:
While doing my work putting in my rollcage (mostly for the education of it), I found my opel had pristine, unused seatbelts in the back under the plywood shelf. What were these for? My wife said she has a coworker who swears up and down that she owned a GT in the 70's with a back seat. This is significant! If the car was available with a back seat, wouldn't it be an SM car, not an SM2 car?
One of the Opel GT articles in the bound magazine article collection (Brooklands? can't remember the name) shows two children sitting on what I always thought of as a parcel shelf. I believe the accompanying text said something to the effect of "rear seat is only suitable for children, and only for short trips." Whether the photo was from an independent test or promotional materials might make a difference. I do think there's evidence that the rear area was intended as an occasional seat, however worthless it may have been as a practical matter. I'll take another look at the article tonight and see what it says.

-StephenM

#12 ·
Here are the details:

The pic is from the "Motor" road test review of the Opel GT, from the June 20, 1970 issue. It shows two kids in the back, caption is "with cushions for padding, there's room for two children in the back for short spells." In the text of the article: "Behind the seats is a space large enough to carry two small children for short journeys or a pair of substantial suitcases." This is a UK publication, as I understand it, so I'm not sure if it helps any.

Hurting the case is the fact that all other technical summaries in the brooklands book list seating accomodations as 2, not as 4.

-StephenM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.