Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opeler
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached are photos I took in the late eights of a Blue Opel GT. I was wondering if anyone knows if Bizzarrinni did some work on some Opel GT's, or is it a knock off car that someone did at home. This Opel did have a different engine, wood dash face and a horn button with "Bizzarrinni Strada" noted on it. I know the Bizzarrinni GT 5300 Strada exist (see photo of red car), so I am thinking this is a knock off. What do you guys know/think??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The quality of workmanship is so low and although the aging could account for a lot, the work itself is very unfinished looking. I think it's a knock off.

·
Opeler
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree about the workmanship - it was not in the best part of town. Can anyone take a stab at what motor is in the car? I was not smart enough at the time to get more information. Does anyone across the pond have an idea if Bizzarrinni had any connection with any Opels?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't think the blue GT has anything to do with Bizzarini, looks just like a regular GT with an engine swap.

However, there was a connection between Bizzarini and Opel. In 1966 Bizzarini built a GT 1900 Europa, which used the 1900 Opel engine. A high performance version with Conrero cylinder head and dual Webers was available. This information and the pictures are based on the German book "Das grosse Opel GT Buch" from 1990.

The same book shows the "Kanzler GT", a very extravagant mix of a French "Clenet" and an Opel GT. Built in 1979 by Californian designer Ernest Kanzler. The center of the car is clearly GT, with pre-war style fenders, hood and rear. Not a bad idea ...

For some reason I cannot attach the pictures - getting an error message, I will try again in the morning.

Dieter

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,083 Posts
....For some reason I cannot attach the pictures - getting an error message, I will try again in the morning.

Dieter
After clicking on the "Manage Attachments" link when replying to a post, The upload link is at the top right of the pop-up window. Is your browser set to allow "pop-up" windows for opelgt.com?

·
Registered
335 Posts
After clicking on the "Manage Attachments" link when replying to a post, The upload link is at the top right of the pop-up window. Is your browser set to allow "pop-up" windows for opelgt.com?

Thanks Gary, pictures attached.

·
Opeler
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the blue GT has anything to do with Bizzarini, looks just like a regular GT with an engine swap.

However, there was a connection between Bizzarini and Opel. In 1966 Bizzarini built a GT 1900 Europa, which used the 1900 Opel engine. A high performance version with Conrero cylinder head and dual Webers was available. This information and the pictures are based on the German book "Das grosse Opel GT Buch" from 1990.

The same book shows the "Kanzler GT", a very extravagant mix of a French "Clenet" and an Opel GT. Built in 1979 by Californian designer Ernest Kanzler. The center of the car is clearly GT, with pre-war style fenders, hood and rear. Not a bad idea ...

For some reason I cannot attach the pictures - getting an error message, I will try again in the morning.

Dieter
I saw a Kanzler in person in the early 90's. The then Sacramento/Grass Valley Opel Club was attending a car show at the Wooz (it was a human rat maze that people paid to walk in) in Vacaville/Fairfield ?? and a white one was in attendance. At that time I was not aware of the existence of this car. A friend and I walked by it several times. Finally I noticed that something was oddly familiar about this car. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the center of the car was a GT. My friend and I tried to tell the owner that that his expensive car started with the mid-section of a lowly Opel GT (sorry no offence). He didn't want to hear any part of it. He totally dismissed my friend and I. It really was quite funny. When I get home tonight, I will post the photos I took that weekend.

Has anyone else seen a Kanzler in person - or - own one? I'll start another thread for this question...

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
theres a version over here with a morris mini centre section makes it a 4 seater

dont know if its a kit car or small run production car though

·
Opeler
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always thought GT's looked good in Silver!
Yes, but the one pictured seems to have a growth on it...nothing a sawsall can't take care of.

The one I saw was a white convertible. It didn't look so much like a GT with addons with the roof cut off. Pictures to follow...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts