Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good GT body. I am currently spending much time at home due to a medical problem and wish to get a project car. I had a 1900 back in 69 and loved it. Had to rebuild the engine once. I was in the marines and my father was supposed to start it every week. When I got back he had never started it and the pistons were frozen in the block. Was getting married and didn't have the funds to rebuild again, so I sold it. GRR!

I want to install either a new 5.7 Chevy V8 or a Buick Superchared (MarkIII) 3800 V6. I believe I will need to put a subframe under the vehicle and look for some type of strut front end, as well as a different rear end setup.

Any info on finding a body or articles about this type of swap would be great!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Randy, got to the forum button on the top of the page and check out the engine swap forum. There is a multitude of threads on various engine swaps and opinions of them. Right off the bat, anything larger that a 60 degree V-6, will cause a lot of sheetmetal removal just to get an engine in the hole. I know because I'm doing a V-6/T-5 swap now and had to remove part of the footwell and wiper well on the driver's side of the car to get the motor in the hole. Along with fabricating new engine and tranny mounts. A larger, more powerful engine will require a lot more framework to keep the unibody stiff under high HP/Torque loads.

Ron

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
v8 opel gt

check ebay...i just saw a gt there that was all tube frame, ready for a big block, i believe it was.

·
Opeler
28 Posts
For just about any V8 short of the Rover/Buick alumium 215, I think you're looking at a tube frame. At least for the front half of the car, anyway, and it would make sense to tie it in to a roll cage as well just for stiffness. Certainly no small undertaking. I would strongly recommend buying an ex-drag car that's already sorted out with a tube frame front and beefed up driveline. Several pop up each month on both E-bay and Racingjunk.com

I think it would be a lot easier to take an ex-drag car already set up with a SBC & 4 link ford 9" rear and make it a street car, then to take a stock shell and swap in a V-8 plus driveline. Just my $0.02.

Oh, and also, if you rescue a drag car and get it out on the street again, you've saved a GT, in essence; whereas if you start on a swap with a stock body and run out of time/interest/funds, another GT is lost. So philosophically, the first route is safer :)

Good luck with whatever path you choose, and keep us posted.
-Stephen M

·
Registered
7 Posts

i just had a legnthy discussion with loyd roscoe from fast fieros about the differences between 3.4 and 3800, with a strong emphasis on the supercharged version. first of all, space. the 3800 is actually a bit smaller. about 1/2" shorter front to back, and the supercharged version being about 1/2" taller. as far as width, he said there wasnt any real difference in width, but didnt have exact figures. it ill phyically bolt to the 2.8 s-10/15 t-5, but i dont know how it would handle the torque. the biggest prob is the input to the supercharger will face toward the firewall. it will have to have a tube made to relocate the air inlet, or a trick setup maybe fabricated into the cowl area?. this is definately the route im going to persue, as i feel ill be happiest with the performance. also in the works will be the targa body kit, being as it is a two seater, no reason not to put a roll cage in, a pair of camaro buckets (i think theyre recarro), a wide body kit, and a few other body additions, along with a bulged hood for clearance. my last problem to tackle will be the rear. i have a gm 10 bolt that i would like to cut down, but that would leave me with diff bolt patterns. i would like to fab up a front suspension using my f-body spindles, allowing large rotors and an easier selection of rims to complete the package. i know it will be heavier, but if i pull it off right, it should still be quite nimble, as the beefier rear and set back engine just may help to keep a decent f/r weight ratio. any input would be appreciated. lol, btw, for those who say i should keep it all opel, id like to point out that bitter's stormer was a diplomat with a chevy 327.....just a thought -ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts