Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was tinkering with my car today, I wondered if there existed an Opel live chat area, or server. If there isn't one, is there anyone interested in starting one? I can't fathom how valuable something like that would be for a person like me who has limited knowledge on the cars. Heck, I'd be willing to install a computer in the garage just for that sort of thing.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i think thats something for a computer literate person to look into......lol

·
587 Posts
There is "Chat Room". It doesn't get used very much. I've used to check it all the time when I signed in But no one seems to use it much. It's in the MAIN MENU area under Site Features.

There is a Chat every Sat night on the Yahoo ClassicOpel site. There are usually at least 6 of us in there. Its from around 8pm (est) till Midnight or so. Some of us are there on Sunday night too.

Tom C

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
And I quote:

Opel Chat Every Saturday and Sunday at 8pm EST.

Click on CHAT from the classicopel egroups homepage
Or go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicopels/chat

This is on the Classicopels Yahoo! list, and it is attended by a few of the regulars of that list, and a few from this site. I usually pop in for a minute or two on Saturday nights while I take a break from packing up the Odyssey for the next day's ski trip. Today was closing day at Lake Louise, so perhaps I will stick around a little longer now. The conversation is usually more social than technical (as is the whole classicopels list), but occasionally a good question get asked and answered. I don't type very fast, so I find that I get frustrated by the members who actually took typing in high school. And, of course, there is no permanent record of the answer, so it really doesn't benefit the collective Opel group as much over the long term.

We have a chat section on this site, but I don't believe it has ever worked very well. I looked in a few times, but it really needs to be a scheduled thing, with so small a membership. Gary, is it working these days?

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
Yea, see, Tom is one of those fast typers! He beat me to the punch....

·
587 Posts
Keith, I Didn't take typing in school. I use the 2 finger method like most of us. I think I just started typing my reply sooner than you. LOL

The Yahoo chat as Keith said is more laid back. That's because it's the same 6 or so there every week & have gotten to know each other pretty good. There have been times when 10-12 have been on. We welcome any Opelers to join in & will gladly answer any Opel questions we can.

Tom C

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Keith, Tom;
I guess I'm one of the "regulars", but, I type with the two finger method, even slide a third in there every now and then. But, that comes from a few years practice in a few chat rooms.
Gene

·
Opel Addicts
2,472 Posts
As one of "semi-regular" chat users I have found it very helpful. Everyone there is more knowledgeable than I about Opel stuff. IT is really nice to know that when I get really stuck I can "talk" to someone and have them help me figure out the problem.

So come and join us. Also thanks to all of you for answering my questions.

Vickie

·
Registered
521 Posts
It would be cool to have it on a week night like Monday or something. (this way I'll have something to look fwd to on Monday..!)

-kyle

·
Opel Addicts
2,472 Posts
I've always thought it would be nice to have the chat on Friday and Saturday night. Sunday is a little more difficult because of work the next day, and it seems like most of the chatters stay up late.

Vickie

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
There's also another nice feature about having regulars on/in the chat room, everyone knows each other, we're all adults and EVERYONE in there knows how to take a little good natured ribbin'!!!:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts