Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Opeler
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever chopped the roof on a GT? When you see pictures of them next to the Corvettes one of the things that stands out is the height of the windshield and roof compared to the vettes. I am wondering if other than custom Drag racing bodies, anyone has chopped the top on their GT?

Swiss

·
Opeler
35 Posts
I disagree on that one SK I'm like 6'3 or 192 cm's tall, and I still have about 5 inches of clearance when seated for spirited driving (i.e. backrest nearly straight vertical and seat pushed forward enough to allow knees to bend at greater than 30 degrees-ish....) I've always been interested in the same thing, but have always be discouraged by the GT being a Unibody as well as the difficulty of getting the proper glass made, I was bored a few nights ago and chopped a Manta in Photoshop and I'll post the sloppy pics here, I'll try the same with a Gt pic and you decide. I personally think it would really give a Manta a wicked look, so I'll see how the GT turns out.

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
i know that im 6'3 and i have to have the seat tilted as far back as it goes otherwise i hit my head on the roof and i dont even have the headliner installed in it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
6 foot one inch with seat at first notch back- custom headliner fastened to roof (not a hanging one) as far back as it will slide and with a baseball hat on, I have about 1 inch clearance. :cool:

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
yeah so i dont know how someone who is 6'3 with the seat straight up has 5 inches. maybe ur thinkin the manta and not the gt

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
So, kinda' like this Kadett? And no, it isn't PhotoShopped. Its real...

Attachments

·
Opeler
35 Posts
hmmm, I guess it has to do with build, as I have freakishly long arms and legs and a short torso, maybe seat wear has a lot to do with it as well. I'll sit in it again in the morning and reestimate the distance to roof in my gt. Any who, here are some pics of me chopping up a Gt from gary's gallery. The the windshield and A-pillar are the original length but rotated 15 degrees roughly, the rest of the windows and glass are shortened as the Roof is dropped about 2 inches (scale) and moved back about 2 inches as well, and of course the car is shaved as I think it's pretty neat.

Attachments

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
That car looks familiar!

I had to do a proper chop. Laid the back window down to a more extreme angle since you don't want to reangle the windshield and you really cant move that forward. This means there would be about a 7" stretch on the rof to accomodate the new height.

I could have spent hours on this, but I stopped after only 1. :)

Attachments

·
792 Posts
There is a chopped GT about two blocks from my office that looks like a basketcase. I will try and shoot some pictures

·
Opeler
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really like the change that Stan is showing in his photo image. However, I think that many of the typical chopped tops retain the factory window and angle, just move it down however many inches they want it. This keeps from having to remake the side pillar angle and possibly keeps use of the stock side windows. With all of the curves and angles of the GT this makes it tough.

Swiss

·
Opeler
35 Posts
If I were to ever chop an Opel, I would most definately not worry about retaining the same windshield angle, As the chopping and rewelding itself would weaken the body so greatly, on a unibody no less, that would require major refortification, If I was already building a complete frame for all the pillars on the GT and the proper mounting to solid parts of the body, I cant Imagine building the angle of the frame for the windshield and rest of windows would be that tricky as you are already trashing any idea of keeping the original pillars for support, meaning any angle would be possible as the pillars would essentially be covers and hiders of the new chassis. just rambling though. Maybe one day I'll pick up a hundred dollar RustBucketFilledwithRust Gt and screw around with a welder and not any time soon though. Note, If you lower the roof line I dont think you can reuse any glass without the shaving/cutting the top of the glass to match the new roof line, if you changed the angle of the windshield you would just have to take glass off the top and the front, my guess.

·
Opeler
35 Posts
Double Post Action, last chop job, Figured I'd post just for the entertainment of others, This last Gt is the first chop (roof lowered) and the nose has been stretched about 3 inches out and lowered about 2 inches in front and 1.5 inches in rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
That's wild. I even thought it was real at first, wanted to congratulate the body man who did that! Stretching the nose a bit is cool, would be my first item in building a wild street GT.
Chopping the roof would be an incredible feat. Personally I'd rather go for the roadster look, like Dallas' yellow one.
Having cut up a junk GT beyond recognition to build my race car, I must say that to alter a GT body that radically and then drive it you had better be really good or very crazy. Unless, of course, you go the major rollcage route, after that the body can be just "skins" like mine. The GT is a pretty artful engineering masterpiece, being so unibodied, I think it would be very difficult to "section" and retain integrity. I'm not saying it can't be done, but now we'll hear complaints about ruining restorable cars...

·
Opeler
35 Posts
Just Checked out Dallas'eses gallery, thats some sweet Stuff right there. I think if I had the time and skill, Instead of making the back end flat, I would go for a Saab/Porsche rear end, I'd probably draw an imaginary line following the trim of the side window, then the rear pop out window, up to where the trim starts curving up, and when it got to about 15-20 degrees off horizontal, I'd keep tracing that straight up to the rear glass, and cut there, I'd then pound out the fender bump, and round it over, like in the attached photo-catastrophe. Although If I went that route I'd Prolly do some Carrera Style spoiler with it, heh, sure why not, cant butcher it up enough

Attachments

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
You're aufully good with that photoshop. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts