Opel GT Forum banner

Opel GT engine in an Opel Manta

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kwilford 
#1 · (Edited)
So I'm wondering if a 1.1 ltr Opel GT engine will fit well in a 1.9 ltr Opel Manta, the 1.9 ltr engine is done and I want to swap it, I was wondering if a GT engine would work, thanks
Edit: It is a 1974 Opel Manta Luxus Automatic

#2 ·
It will fit but you'll be disappointed and you won't be pleased, because the 1.1 is under powered for the Manta. Here in Europe the Manta and Ascona / 1900 were available with a 1.2 engine and that engine was under powered. The least best engine is a 1.6 N [low compression] one, it has enough power to ride comfortable.
You'll also have to make changes to the drive train, engine mounts, transmission mounts, throttle linkage and maybe some more stuff.

#3 ·
As a comment, an Opel GT 1.1 is very rare, with something like 4400 ever made. A lot more 1.1's came in Kadett's, but again, very few as dual carb SR's such as the GT had. And has been noted, even that will do poorly in a Manta.

So why not just get another 1.9? There were over 70,000 GT's imported into North America w/ 1.9's, as well as hundreds of thousands of Manta's and Ascona's, and MILLIONS in Europe. They are, literally, a dime a dozen, and a direct fit.

JM2CW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.