Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know the plastic "lip" that is held in place by 2 nuts on the two studs under the dash will crack and the box then hangs down and is a real pain in the foot.

Do any of you have an easy fix for this problem?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
It's not the best fix in the world but I've had in the past used body washers to hold the panel up.

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,405 Posts
Do any of you have an easy fix for this problem?
If you are a big guy it won't be easy. Find someone who is double jointed and have him replace it with a whole one.

·
1,875 Posts
I took a blue plastic electrical box cover, cut it in half, and hot glued this end to end over the lip that the studs come thru. Then a couple of holes drilled in the correct spots and you have a very solid fuse box again.

·
Opeler
113 Posts
I took a piece of metal and bent it to the same radius as the plastic lip.
I drilled some holes to match up to the studs where it would normally attach and attached the metal to the fuse box below the lip with some small bolts. I used a piece of aluminum behind the plastic (sandwiching the plastic fuse box) to keep the plastic from cracking and didn't overtorque the bolts. Painted it to match and you would never know it wasn't original - unless you know opels

Hope this helps, Tom

·
Opeler
3,044 Posts
GT Fuse Box

I used metal strapping left over from garage door opener installation. Home Depot or Lowes should have material in metal & fasteners aisle.

Metal strapping has large and smaller diameter holes approx. every inch. I cut off a 2" - 3" length (with hacksaw) and installed it over both cracked sections of GT fuse box. Strapping accomplishes same intent as fender washers.

·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes and a new opel friend has fashioned these 4 me

I took a piece of metal and bent it to the same radius as the plastic lip.
I drilled some holes to match up to the studs where it would normally attach and attached the metal to the fuse box below the lip with some small bolts. I used a piece of aluminum behind the plastic (sandwiching the plastic fuse box) to keep the plastic from cracking and didn't overtorque the bolts. Painted it to match and you would never know it wasn't original - unless you know opels

Hope this helps, Tom
Thanks to Mr. Carl Herzog of San Diego I now have 4 beautifully crafted (machine shop quality) metal sleeves to go on the fuse box.
Also Namba mentioned a Radio Shack box can be used to replace the Opel one if need be.
I have a humpty dumpty box so I will check out the RS one too.
Thanks for all the support
Jim M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts