Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
. . . that's right, a direct, dimensionally cloned, metal GT fusebox replacement for the 'by-now brittle' original plastic OEM fuseboxes. Price is not unreasonable for an "unzerbrechlich - aus Metall/unbreakable metal" unit, EUR 64,90 (inkl. MwSt.). It may actually cost less because price includes German VAT (Value Added Tax) . . .

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you've ever witnessed the grief of a layperson who attempted in vain to rewire an entire fusebox, then you'll understand why fabricating an external gusset out of a $4 piece of scrap metal to support the existing plastic casing is a better recommendation for most GT owners.

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
If you've ever witnessed the grief of a layperson who attempted in vain to rewire an entire fusebox, then you'll understand why fabricating an external gusset out of a $4 piece of scrap metal to support the existing plastic casing is a better recommendation for most GT owners.
OR someone that wears bifocals. :sigh:

Harold

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
This looks like a great part - especially if you are in the middle of a restoration. I think this metal support plate I have on my fuse box is the alternative being suggested for those not so electrically inclined like myself.

Attachments

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
This looks like a great part - especially if you are in the middle of a restoration. I think this metal support plate I have on my fuse box is the alternative being suggested for those not so electrically inclined like myself.
It is an USA Opel (Opel Jim) part. Part was a bargain at $13.20 (including shipping). Jim M. indicated in September that he has quit the Opel business. Not sure if he has any leftover parts.

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
opel-gt-teile.de, Kotflgel, Blechteile, US GT, California GT, Neuteile - opel-gt-teile.de, Kotflgel, Blechteile, US GT, Neuteile

Anybody shopped with Wolfgang`s Opel GT Shop in Germany? His website and German eBay suggest that he does not ship to the USA. I am sure that by the end of the year Splendid Parts or Opel GT Source might have what I am shopping for. Might send an email to OPGTS to check availability.
According to this page
http://www.splendidparts.de/kaufhaus_2/themes/topnavi/index.php?id=13&languageid=2
It looks like Splendid parts ships to the USA.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
many months ago i researched like crazy and learned it takes a while to get parts from Splendid and that Udo was on a long vacation or move?

I am looking to buy rear chrome tail strip and wish that OGTS would get a few.

Please anyone confirm or deny lengthy shipping or share success stories. I know he is reputable but USA orders are delayed?

·
Opeler
161 Posts
This looks like it should fix my problem. Fuse block mount is cracked, tried repairing it during the restoration and it did last a couple years. Now the fuse block is vibrating causing loss of electrics in the dash. Push/shake the fuse block and it comes back. Don't really want to disassemble the car again to replace/rewire. Just need something to hold the fuse block steady.

Have never dealt with Splendid Parts before or dealt with obtaining foreign parts shipped to the states. Don't see one posted on OGTS. Other options? Somebody have drawings/plans to make these? I have some metal working background (Licensed A&P) but don't really have access to a full shop anymore but do have basic tooling. Suggestions?

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
This looks like it should fix my problem. Fuse block mount is cracked, tried repairing it during the restoration and it did last a couple years. Now the fuse block is vibrating causing loss of electrics in the dash. Push/shake the fuse block and it comes back. Don't really want to disassemble the car again to replace/rewire. Just need something to hold the fuse block steady.

Have never dealt with Splendid Parts before or dealt with obtaining foreign parts shipped to the states. Don't see one posted on OGTS. Other options? Somebody have drawings/plans to make these? I have some metal working background (Licensed A&P) but don't really have access to a full shop anymore but do have basic tooling. Suggestions?
Nevermind. I posted repeat information.

FWIW, the bracket to fix the GT fusebox isn't hard to make.

Reactions: wlkelley3

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
Opel GT Source sells the GT fuse box replacements:
Re: Winter Project 2014 Sale.

*Prices good to 3/31/2014, or while current supplies last.
Fusebox Housings 5024P & 5024S.
Original Plastic & New Steel Designs.
Replaces old brittle fuseboxes $119/ $99.

·
Opeler
161 Posts
Ever try shopping in Chapel Hill, TN. :no:, well there's your problem!

Harold
Notice the last word in my post? "Suggestion"!! Well, there's a suggestion. Try Che Chapel Hill. So what you got for me Harold? An un-cracked original fuse box? One of those metal housings that will support the original fuse box? If original fuse box we'll have to make a deal to add in some assistance putting it in. Something I can usually handle myself but 2 would make it go quicker with less problems (hopefully). The past year or so I haven't had time for things like this. Last year I had 19 business trips for work. So far this year I spent 2 1/2 months in Korea and leaving for my 3rd trip of the year Sunday which will lead to a couple more overseas (back to Korea then Central America) plus more waiting for the schedule to be finalized.

Plus, been a while since we've chatted. Been so busy that I haven't posted the EuroBrit car show this year. Was out of town when I usually post those. Anyway, June 7th is the EuroBrit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts